3.22.2012

sometimes the path you're on is not as important as the direction you're heading

March 22: impious
(sometimes these things are just too perfect)
Was it impious of me to exclaim, in response to my workplace's policy against collecting multiple copies of Christian fiction books, "Thank God"?




  • I need to issue a sort of retraction to my friend BGM, regarding his interview question about misanthropes. When I wrote that post, I was focused too directly on House, and hadn't opened my mind to other areas where I might encounter such critters in my life. There are two films featuring misanthropic leads that I love, hands-down, because of those leading characters: Henry Fool and No Such Thing, both of which were written and directed by Hal Hartley.

    This brings me no closer to an answer to the real question (whether I can conceive of a female misanthrope who could be so endearing), but I do feel better now about clarifying what I'd said.
  • Beer-tasting over the past week has had positive results. Metolius Dolly Varden IPA is delicious--much better than the beer-snob reviews imply--and Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale is quite good, too. Recommended!
  • I'm reading Eyal Press' Beautiful Souls: Saying No, Breaking Ranks, and Heeding the Voice of Conscience in Dark Times. It is classified as philosophy, ethics, courage/cowardice. At the same time, I'm reading Everyone Loves a Good Train Wreck: Why We Can't Look Away by Eric G. Wilson. It is pretty straight-up environmental psychology, 'situational influences'. Finally, I'm working through Mark Strand's new book of poetry, Almost Invisible.

    I think my brain is melting.
  • My apartment seems very quiet tonight.
  • I've been thinking about going to my insurance agent to see if my rates are in order, but I have the sinking feeling that what I'd discover is that my coverage is too low and I'll end up paying more rather than less anyway. Since the last time I had everything checked, I've weeded a LOT of books from my collection and done away with some other belongings--but I've also acquired some personal electronics and never did get the jewelry situation sorted out. Blargh; sometimes I hate being a grown-up.
  • ...which reminds me, I should probably file my taxes one of these days. I'm pretty sure that this year will be like the usual, 20 minutes in and out and less than $100 damage either way. It just seeeeemmms like so much worrrrrrrkkk.
  • My goal for tomorrow is to get through at least two sheets of the little black-and-white stickers that have come to signify the passage of time at work. That would mean that I've been extraordinarily productive--and not at all distracted. I wonder if it's even possible?


[the title quotation is by Kevin Smith]

2 comments:

  1. I will try not to email you every time I have a crisis or a weirdness at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email away! I just may not answer so readily as usual. ;)

    ReplyDelete