“Be still, and know that I am God.”
[Psalm 46:10 ESV]
That's the idea. Simple and complicated, both. What does it mean, after all this time for contemplation?
- Stop talking. You might miss what's really important while you're yapping.
- Stop talking. You might miss the chance for silence, which can bring its own wisdom.
- Stop talking; in silence comes the opportunity to hear your own heart.
- Stop talking; it's often someone else's turn to speak.
- Stop moving so much; listen to the cues that your body gives.
- Pay attention; you might miss what's in front of you, if you're too intent on getting to the next point in your agenda.
- Listen. Someone else may truly be the smartest person in the room.
“The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”
[Exodus 14:14 ESV]
“Teach me, and I will be silent; make me understand how I have gone astray.”
[Job 6:24 ESV]
“But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.”
[1 Peter 3:4 ESV]
“And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you”
[1 Thessalonians 4:11 ESV]
“And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever.”
[Isaiah 32:17 ESV]
“It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.”
[Lamentations 3:24-26 ESV]
This is not a religious site--at all--and this is the farthest I've ever gone in this direction. I hope I've not offended anyone, whether with my lack of knowledge on the subject, presumptions I've made, or for discussing it in the first place. I am just trying to understand myself and my own world better.