10.08.2014

I shall not search your hands But look into your eyes

"Gift"

Sometimes the gift is not so much the thing itself, but the meaning it comes to take on later. Like this bottle of beer, part of the six-pack that Brian brought down from Mad-town for our ill-fated romantic weekend. The beverage itself is fine enough, sure, but the lesson learned--at the time, and sufficient after the fact to make me keep it, even now--was far more potent. 

O.A.R., "The Gift", from All Sides

You ask me what since we must part
You shall bring back to me.
Bring back a pure and faithful heart
As true as mine to thee.

You talk of gems from foreign lands,
Of treasure, spoil, and prize.
Ah love! I shall not search your hands
But look into your eyes.

[Juliana Horatia Ewing, 'Gifts']

No comments:

Post a Comment