1.02.2004

The First of Many

The house at 619 Main St. isn't there anymore. I'm not surprised; it probably burned down. The last I knew, there was a dryer on the front porch - doesn't seem like a great idea. But it's gone now. I'd planned to go around and take pictures of all the houses someday, maybe in black and white. Have a little scrapbook of the meaningful places I'd been. Not that I could really share it with anybody, or that if I did share it with anyone, they'd know what I meant when I explained half of the things I'd photographed. Like 619 Main St., a dump in anyone's estimation. Just a house, divided into apartments sometime before 1989. I was in one of them several times that spring. Stucco ceiling. Tiny kitchen, right inside the door at the top of the stairs. Loft.

Pictures can tell a lot, obviously. What would a picture of a dumpy house on Main St. tell? Would anyone but me want that story told? And now it's gone.

Has anyone else noticed?

No comments:

Post a Comment