6.18.2019

the tired sunsets and the tired people-- it takes a lifetime to die and no time at all

What age would you like to live to?

“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.”

Have you ever seen this quote, widely misattributed to Winnie the Pooh author A.A. Milne?

It's true.

I don't care how long I live. That doesn't mean that I want to die--don't get excited. It's that it doesn't matter how long it lasts, the length of time. What does matter is that I want none of it, and nothing, without this love.

This past week, someone who's known me almost my whole life told me that I'm a romantic. There are plenty of disparate definitions of that word, of course, Some of them make me a little squeamish, and others kind of proud. I guess it's apt, in any case.

[from a list originally found on Tumblr - this is #52; the title quotation is by Charles Bukowski, from Bone Palace Ballet]

2 comments:

  1. I've always struggled with this quote as it implies the two people would be precisely the same age with the same birth date. That just seems unlikely. I appreciate your sentiment however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take the literal approach to the quote, rather than the liberal or metaphorical, though of course your point is valid.

      For what it's worth: a former boyfriend of mine, someone I thought might be my forever, is precisely the same age with the same birth date. Food for thought.

      Delete