11.24.2011

illusions commend themselves to us because they save us pain and allow us to enjoy pleasure instead

  1. What was the best thing that happened to you this week?
    I got a bunch of new clothes: two sweaters, a blouse (and another one that I'm returning for a different one that's closer in style to the first one), a fleece jacket, jeans, and slippers.
    The worst?
    I've had some illusions...revealed as illusions. Which is hard. Better than basing any time or energy on something that's not true, of course, but still rough.
  2. What's the best thing someone's done for you (recently or not so recently)?
    lately: sat by my side and let me put my head on her shoulder
    What's the worst thing someone's done to you (again, recently or not so recently)?
    lately: one of my friends has a tendency to say asinine things without realizing how foolishly he's behaving, and how what he says will make other people feel
  3. What's the best thing about your job?
    at this moment, I'm struggling to come up with anything, but I suppose it's the puzzle. Almost every day, there is something that needs 'figuring out' to some degree, and I like that challenge.
    Worst?
    I really cannot get into it.
  4. What's the best new website you've found?
    It's not new, but lately I've been spending a lot of time at the Jim Brandenberg Gallery site. I love his work, and I dream of outfitting my space with his photographic prints that evoke feelings of home.
    Worst?
    just the one to which I contribute on a daily basis in order to pay the bills
  5. What's the best book you've read?
    that's a ridiculous question, considering who you're asking. How about a short list?Worst?
    I don't want to give anyone the urge to read them, and I don't want to make them findable through the blog. There are a bunch, though, and if you need to know, I can tell you one-on-one.
  6. What's the best movie you've seen?
    Another list.Worst?
    one more time: no promotion of the bad ones. I'll let you know if you really need to know.
  7. What's the best meal you've had?
    it's usually about the company, not about the food. If someone wants to change my mind about that, they're welcome to try.
    Worst?
    it's not the worst thing ever, but I over-cooked some eggs the other night. Burned eggs are really something.
  8. What's the best holiday?
    oh, Thanksgiving, for sure.
    Worst?
    Thanksgiving, duh.
  9. What's the best thing in your future?
    I suppose it's the very fact that the future itself is there. Today is just one day.
    Worst?
    my ARDC fees are due in about a month. I don't know why, but that is absolutely the worst bill to pay, of all the bills that I've ever had to pay. I wait until the last minute and then grind my teeth for the 5 minutes that it takes to make the online funds transfer. HATE it. Grrr!

[from The Cat, who got it here. The title quotation is by Sigmund Freud, and reads in its entirety: "Illusions commend themselves to us because they save us pain and allow us to enjoy pleasure instead. We must therefore accept it without complaint when they sometimes collide with a bit of reality against which they are dashed to pieces."]

2 comments:

  1. GIANT very gentle hugs.

    What's ARDC?

    And will you list some "bad books" in comments?? :-)

    WV: buclobb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs right back at ya.

    ARDC = Attorney Registration & Disciplinary Committee, aka annual law licensing. $105 to promise that I will not practice law.

    Some bad books: 'Pictures of You' by Caroline Leavitt; 'The Lies that Bind' by Edward DeAngelo; probably half of the backlist of Linda Howard (although the rest of it is in the B- to A+ range, so it pays to be selective with her); 'In the Age of Love' by Michael Stein; 'Phyllida and the Brotherhood of Philander' by Ann Herendeen (a bisexual romance novel - what was I thinking?!). I could go on, but that's probably enough.

    Wasn't buclobb playing in that game yesterday? ;)

    ReplyDelete