1.27.2004

One Little Sentence

"How curious to realize the betrayal wasn't so much in the act but in the need."

(Victoria Alexander, The Husband List)

Lots of people think romance novels are crap or mush - a waste of words or paper, anesthetic to the female mind. I'm not going to spend a lot of time defending them (in part because it's been done and in part because that's not my point at the moment), but I will assert that nuggets of truth can be found in surprising places. Sometimes I think I'm just reading for entertainment and not using my brain at all, learning anything, "thinking" beyond the most basic action required for the comprehension of fiction, and then a sentence or a phrase will appear and work its way into my consciousness, and it will all have been proven worthwhile.

I might forget the names of the protagonists of The Husband List over time, but that line will remain with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment