1.24.2005

Intentional Skirting

Interesting behavior this weekend. I had a date, which is newsworthy in itself. But the really fascinating part is that the person with whom I ventured out is too young for me, according to the Cosmo Rule. For the uninitiated, the Cosmo Rule states that one should only date those who are at least half of one's own age plus seven years. The guy wasn't much 'beneath my limit,' but I suppose that my choice to use the word "much" is telling--one either accepts the limit or does not, and as I had previously done so, to blithely disregard it indicates, well...something. I'm not trying to imply that the guy was a Heather. He's smart, fun, and in many other ways entirely unlike anyone with whom I've spent time recently. In a good way.

My question is this: even considering that he was not, and is not, a "potential mate," was he "too young"? Should I allow the Cosmo Rule to guide me? Do my single friends have such a "limit," or is there something else that constrains their dating behavior?

No comments:

Post a Comment