I got to work only 2 minutes late, which is almost alarmingly early for me. If I manage to leave here before I'm supposed to be at work, it's quite out of the ordinary. I was working with coworker T today, and she's been in her element for intrusiveness lately. Every day is twenty-questions, and they're usually the sort of questions that even a therapist wouldn't feel comfortable asking. I had a good laugh when the Smelly Coworker was even more intrusive to T than she had been to me for most of the morning. A battle of the snoops, and Smelly won. Tee hee.
As the day dragged on at a snail's pace, there were some highlights. The Harry Potters arrived, much to the delight of 80% of the staff. (The other 20% of us don't give a rat's ass except to foresee great circulation of other materials while the hordes of people who want to read it wait for their names to come up on the holds list.) I processed my little fingers to the bone, but not literally--no broken fingernails, and no stabbings-with-razor-blade, which are all too common for me. Oooh, I forgot about the best thing: my supervisor is on vacation, so the place was remarkably happy and upbeat, yet quiet. Mmm, the peace that the mice enjoy when the cat's off doing whatever cats do. My favorite coworker was in attendance, being wonderful and generally making the place happier and 'better.'
When I came home for lunch I sent an overdue email message to my mom (complete with pictures, which guaranteed happiness for a few more hours than a simple message would've). And ate lunch. And put together a plate of regular (non-caramel-chunk) brownies (dusted with powdered sugar, though) for the SWC guys. I think the guys are generally cool anyway, and deserving of the occasional brownie, but it's also self-interest: it can't hurt to keep a fleet of 20- and 30-something men happy, when I might need to have furniture moved or a tire changed at some point while I'm in residence.
My head started to hurt about midway through the day. Today was, as indicated earlier, very humid, and the pollen count was through the roof. I popped a couple of Excedrin Migraine while guzzling a Coke, though, and felt quite a bit better before I'd even left work.
I came home to a happy surprise: a guest, here just because. We spent a couple of hours watching The Simpsons, season 2 on DVD. ("I don't remember you being so bea-BURP-utiful!") And looking at pictures. And laughing hard.
After he left, I toodled back to work to talk to DJN for a bit, and ended up staying until closing, and then walking out with her, and then standing next to her car for an hour and a half while we blabbed at each other like we haven't talked for a month, rather than since, oh, 3:00. It was fun, a flashback to many, many entertaining and meaningful conversations we've had over the last year, plus.
And now, home, to my smells-like-brownies apartment, listening to Sjako's "Hurt (I Wish)" on RealAudio, of which I became aware thanks to Peter. I'm a freak for new music anyway, but learning about something "new" that's actually from my chosen era (i.e. the 80s and 90s) is so totally cool. I'm a happy clam.