11.19.2005

how I know I'm a "guys' girl"

I'm watching the University of Michigan-Ohio State football game, one of the biggest games of the season. There are other things that I'm trying to do at the same time (folding laundry, washing dishes, getting ready to go shopping), but I'm cramming them into the commercials and time-outs because all I really care about is the game.

First, I just found myself dancing to the Allstate insurance commercial. It's just a zillion people tailgating, a guy dancing with lighter fluid, he shakes the fluid all over the place--including onto his SUV--and when he lights the charcoal, the fire follows the path of the fluid over to his SUV and lights that on fire, too. As part of the song (the name of which escapes me at the moment), periodically everyone chants "HEY!" When she sees the SUV light up, a cheerleader says, "Hey!", as in, "Hey, dumbass, your truck's on fire." The guy, into the song, just goes, "Heeey!" And then

BOOOM

So I'm dancing all over the living room, folding pillow-cases, sort of chanting, "HEY!" Like a stupid ass. [chagrin]

The next commercial was what really did it, though. Cute, kind of Rubin Carver-esque guy with a Dr. Pepper is in what looks like a Walgreen's, buying tampons. (And of course there's a price check, just like every time a woman buys condoms.) Next shot is his girlfriend, sitting in the car looking both grateful and slightly desperate. The next shot is the same guy, in a laundromat (with his Dr. Pepper), folding a pair of women's panties--and then that same woman comes into the shot, leans over and kisses him on the cheek. The next shot is that same pair in a yoga class, with his Dr. Pepper near his feet.

The final scene is what does it. The two are lying on the couch together, apparently watching a movie. He's sort of under her, so she has more mobility. She leans over and takes the can of Dr. Pepper. As she's about to take a drink, he stands up and shoves her off his lap in one smooth motion, grabs the can and dashes toward the door. He's out the door before she realizes what's happening, and by the time she's at the door he's sprinting down the middle of the road.

The commercial runs to the Meatloaf song, "I'd Do Anything for Love (but I won't do that)".

I was laughing my ass off. Snorting. Practically cheering. It was too good. Here's a link, though I make no promises for how long it'll last or how reliable it is: Dr. Pepper Commercial.




addendum: Michigan lost, 25-21. I missed the final quarter of the game and it sounds like I should be grateful for that. Now begins that bleak period from the end of college football (but for the bowl games) through the start of exhibition baseball in which there are no real sports to watch. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment