3.30.2010

closing it out

    There are rumors of 80 degrees this week. My snow-removal stuff is still in the back seat. I'm climactically confused. There was frost on my car this morning. I will probably wear sandals for the rest of the week. Make no mistake: I like it.
    No photos yet exist of my new hair. It's the color of the top of a badger's head, between his ears. The style is vaguely the same, just somewhat different in the front. Maybe a little shaggier. Try imagining a combination of these guys' hair in front, with what I've had in the back:
[Matthew Gray-Gubler]

[Peter Outerbridge]

    One last thing about shopping yesterday: VS used to be my go-to, and I've been known to spend a fortune there. Lately, though, I've been rather disappointed. Reasons? There are a few. First, style. The chain seems to be marketing toward two markets: anorexic teenagers ("pink"), and hookers. Without giving too much away... I'm neither seeking "cute" nor "trashy" in my lingerie. Second: fabrics. Lots of what's on offer is either itchy/rough/scratchy, or filled, topped, and wrapped with so much padding that it probably serves as a flotation device. Hey, VS? Newsflash: there's a whole subset (probably not even "sub," even) of women who Do. Not. Want. padding in every bit of lingerie they buy. Third, color. I sought something "light-colored." My options, in one line, turned out to be: retina-piercing lemon; sherbet orange; sticky bubblegum pink (not really "light," that); or mint with a grubby-looking gray lace overlay. I'm sensing a food trend, and also that bras are supposed to be visible at all times. *eye roll* I'm NOT a prude, but I'm seriously starting to miss the days of "shell pink" and "ecru."
    April is Poetry Month. Anyone new to the blog, take note: I post a poem each day in April. That's every single day. Don't let it surprise you. By the same token, you've been warned, so if you don't like it, don't bitch. Unless I love you, if you bitch, I'll ban you. We're clear, yes? Good. Of course, if you do like poetry, it's an awesome way to find some new things, or maybe get a fresh view of something you've seen before. Please do comment (anything except "I don't like this poetry shit" is welcome, truly).
    The Mumbler told a couple of very funny stories today. Well, funny at the time, but in retrospect, they left me ruminating about the nature of attraction and self-fulfilling prophecies. It's bad enough when a good person beats himself up, but if he subconsciously--or unconsciously (another debate!)--attracts others to do him harm, then it seems a duty of those who believe him to be a good person to step in on his behalf. Prehaps, though, my imagination deludes me, and it's not true that fighting another's battle is easier than facing my own.

3 comments:

  1. Fighting others' battles is at least more entertaining, usually, than drearily facing one's own. ...sigh


    "pericrug"--on a post that discusses hair? I think these 'words' are not so random. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please note that I kindly provided a photo of Shemar Moore.

    "pericrug" sounds like the buildup of hair in the shower drain of a hotel.

    What's the name of that store with the pronunciation on the sign? Something with 'C's and a Q?

    ReplyDelete
  3. TY for pointing out Shemar. He'll do. ;-)

    Cacique ("ka'seek")


    You attract 'em: whent

    ReplyDelete