8.01.2010

know my intimate details

  • This is the first weekend in a month that I've had no plans. It's crazy what a relief it can be to do absolutely nothing social for two whole days. I've been a little bit productive (laundry, finding storage space in the laundry closet, taking the car for its annual professional cleaning) and a lot lazy (numerous naps, several pots of tea, and some reading: 2 novels [Zoe Heller's What Was She Thinking?--the basis of the Cate Blanchett/Judy Dench movie Notes on a Scandal--and the brand new book Finny by Justin Kramon, which is one of the best first novels I've read], a book of poetry [Bitter Angel by Amy Gerstler], and the always wonderful Anthony Bourdain's The Nasty Bits: Collected Varietal Cuts, Usable Trim, Scraps, and Bones, which I just started this afternoon). Oh, and Bourdain is definitely still on my List. Mmmmmmm

  • I received a sweet, rather surprising message from a former...boyfriend? I suppose?...yesterday. He'd had too much to drink and so felt comfortable revealing his innermost thoughts and feelings. While quite romantic and seemingly heartfelt, it was also somewhat disconcerting, I suppose. This is someone with whom I have not communicated on that level in a long time.

    He stopped reading the blog. That's my biggest objection to him. He's a good guy, he would never think of cheating or hurting me in any conscious way, and we get along really well when we try. He just never got the blog, and I can't get past that; it dismayed me that he didn't try. I would be far, far more likely to become attached to someone who liked me for what I wrote than the way I look, or any other "romantic" notion. Now that I see it in writing, it seems vain; if it is, then that's what I am. Sorry, Tex.

  • Heh--I can't believe I haven't mentioned this: I've acquired a few more tattoos. There are now ten. As always, photos available upon request. Well, I'll show three of them. One is in an undisclosed location, and shall remain for the time being.

  • On an unrelated note, the people who say things like, "I don't judge" are often the most hurtfully judgmental. I think that all of us judge, whether we acknowledge it to our 'victims' or not. Pretending that we don't is sanctimonious.

  • However, on a related note: is "sanctimonious" onomatopoetic? 'Cause you really can't use it without being it. Maybe it's an ideophone. Maybe I'm just strange.

  • I am undoubtedly the least-favorite person in my employment environment lately. Not with my immediate 'superior', which is new, but with the remainder of the crew. After years of being pretty easy to work with, I've concentrated a lot of pushing back (or at least standing firm), all within the last week or so. I don't know what led to all this--it was not one conscious decision--but it really does seem to be turning out the way I wanted it to all along. There is one more big test to face tomorrow morning, which could potentially turn into a passive-aggressive fight of wills. I will win, though, so it doesn't matter what's thrown in the interim. Still, I do hate being in charge. Nothing could suit me less.

  • Time to finish the laundry and pedicure. Then I can take a long, cold shower and settle in for another evening of reading before heading back out into the real world for another week.

6 comments:

  1. PICS! (please)

    Also, how the hell are you? And so forth. I've been pretty incommunicado for the past couple of weeks... :-(

    Wish I could read that much in a weekend. I guess I could but it would require planning, and hiding in my room, or some non-TV'd portion of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pics on the way.

    I am, the hell, not too bad. Headache, blah, whatever. Glad you're back.

    If we traded lives, you could read like that all the time.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we traded lives, would I have to have the headaches? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd keep the headaches rather than taking your eye issues. Scary thought, isn't it? Especially since my brain is still pounding. :|

    ReplyDelete