5.21.2013

QANTAS doesn't fly to Los Angeles out of Cincinnati

  1. Who is your favorite Musical Artist from when you were a teenager?
    since it's capitalized, I feel like Prince is the only answer I should give - and I was a pretty big fan of the unpronounceable symbol back in the day. But for true love and ridiculousness, the nod must go to Duran Duran, and in particular, Simon LeBon.
  2. Who is your favorite game show host?
    Chuck Woolery
  3. Who is your Favorite Blog hosting service?
    what's with the random capitalizations? I use Blogger (obviously) and have only tried to lurch away in the direction of Word Press a couple of times, to no avail.
  4. If you could meet anyone again from your childhood, who would it be?
    my cousin R.
  5. Where did you want to live when you were growing up?
    Boston
  6. What is the most interesting piece of Trivia that you know?
    at the moment, I highly doubt that I know any trivia at all. My brain is either too full or too empty for that.
  7. If you could live in any point of history when would it be and why?
    despite impressions to the contrary, I'll stick with what I've got. I'm fond of bathing and painless dentistry--and lots of more intellectually and emotionally vital issues!
  8. What is the most interesting job you have ever had?
    during grad school, I transcribed audiotapes of psychological interviews with parentally-bereaved children and adolescents. They had been conducted by a research group at the large university nearby, as part of a longitudinal study of death.
  9. Please share one middle school memory. It can be good, bad, ugly, funny. Pictures or words, I don't care, just share.
    one of my friends in junior high was a boy named Shawn. We were members of the same basic social group, but he was one of the "wild" kids and I was a "good" girl. Stop me if you see what's coming.... I developed a crush, which had no effect except to render me mute or effusive in his presence. On the last day of ninth grade--the day we received our yearbooks and spent all our time signing each others' and lightly misbehaving--he was in particularly good spirits. He agreed to sign my yearbook, and did so in a not-too-obnoxious fashion. He then acquiesced to having a photo taken with me, at the request of one of my friends. I was scared stiff, sure that it was a joke and that I was the punchline. Lisa grabbed my camera and Shawn sauntered over, threw his arm around me, and turned with a beautiful smile, ready for the picture. I just grinned like an idiot, determined to enjoy every second of being that close to him.

    When I got the film developed and saw the picture, I was beyond horrified: because I'd stiffened so much, it looked like I was bending
    away from him, awkwardly, ass-first. And my blissful smile was actually closer to a lunatic leer. He looks just as adorable as ever, sweet and charming, and I look like a gawky freak. And that's appropriate, since that's what I was.
  10. What's your favorite Beatles song?
    "Norwegian Wood." I know, no one else gets it either.

  11. If I asked you to describe your most comfortable outfit, what would it be?
    the men's navy blue with pinstripes PJ pants that I bought for my trip to Dallas, an ancient white tank from JJill, and various other snips & snaps as needed for propriety's sake
  12. Would you rather host a party or be a guest?
    If I have to do one or the other, God knows I'd rather be a guest - I can leave at anytime, and I don't have to clean up. And if it all goes kablooey, it's probably not my fault.
  13. Do you think we will move completely from traditional books to digital ones, and if we do, are you OK with that?
    no, we won't. There are plenty of books that don't read well in electronic form, and plenty of readers who prefer paper to devices. For that matter, there are people who prefer audio to visual, and among them, 'manual' audio to electronic forms. I am in a unique position from which I can literally see people reading newspapers in their original form (and sometimes even on microfilm!) for hours every day. Making the argument that "it's available online" to me is fatuous, because something's online-ness does not render it automatically, easily, or uniformly accessible, nor does that accessibility render other methods of access pointless. The highway might be the most direct route between here and the big city to the east, for example, but "most direct" and "fastest" are often NOT the same thing. Same goes for electronic media. Have you seen the wait-list for popular titles, some of which disappear from library e-shelves after a specific number of uses?
  14. Do you learn best by reading, listening or experiencing?
    it depends what I'm learning. I learn spelling by reading. I learn music by listening. I learn cooking by experiencing. For example.
  15. If you are (or when you were) single, what is the kiss of death for you concerning the opposite sex? (That is, what is one trait or behavior or habit or anything at all that immediately turns you off from considering that person a potential match for you?)
    there are so many. I suppose that's why I'm single, right? Because I'm so damned picky? Here's a short list:
    • yellow cars or Hummers
    • unfaithfulness
    • parent/child issues
    • intolerance for differences in taste
    • inattentiveness
  16. Snacks. Salty or sweet?
    salty. I like sweet fine enough, but I'll only go out looking for salt.
  17. Look around you in a four foot radius. What object is around you that you didn't realize was there or forgot was there? How long has it been there?
    there's nothing in that category in my dwelling anymore. Since Sunday, I have no furniture except a bed and a small chest of drawers; literally everything else in the entire place has been moved from the position that it had occupied prior to Sunday, so I'm all too aware of what's where. Most of it's somehow dramatically in the way, even.
  18. What is your favorite Tom Cruise movie?
    Rain Man
  19. You buy a bottle of shampoo and discover that you don't like what it does to your hair at all. What do you do with that full bottle?
    this does not happen to me
  20. Your favorite spring comfort food?
    fruit, I suppose? If there's something "spring"-y and comforting, it would have to be fresh, and I'm not such a vegetable fan. I bought strawberries tonight that actually smell like strawberries and not plastic, so that's progress.

[from The Cat, who got it here; the title quotation is from Rain Man]

No comments:

Post a Comment