10.09.2013

be still, part 4

“Be still, and know that I am God. 
[Psalm 46:10 ESV]

That's the idea. Simple and complicated, both. What does it mean, after all this time for contemplation?

  • Stop talking. You might miss what's really important while you're yapping.
  • Stop talking. You might miss the chance for silence, which can bring its own wisdom.
  • Stop talking; in silence comes the opportunity to hear your own heart.
  • Stop talking; it's often someone else's turn to speak.
  • Stop moving so much; listen to the cues that your body gives.
  • Pay attention; you might miss what's in front of you, if you're too intent on getting to the next point in your agenda.
  • Listen. Someone else may truly be the smartest person in the room.
There are other Biblical directions to take:
The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”
[Exodus 14:14 ESV]

“Teach me, and I will be silent; make me understand how I have gone astray.
[Job 6:24 ESV]

But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.
[1 Peter 3:4 ESV]

And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you
[1 Thessalonians 4:11 ESV]

And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever.
[Isaiah 32:17 ESV]

It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.
[Lamentations 3:24-26 ESV]


This is not a religious site--at all--and this is the farthest I've ever gone in this direction. I hope I've not offended anyone, whether with my lack of knowledge on the subject, presumptions I've made, or for discussing it in the first place. I am just trying to understand myself and my own world better.

3 comments:

  1. Stop thinking: cluttering your mind often prevents the truly interesting ideas from being heard.

    Simply stop: set aside time each day to let go of everything.

    Stop needing: being still might be the most and least selfish act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can figure out how I can stop thinking, you're a step ahead of me!
    I'm getting better, by increments, at simply stopping--though it's still a battle sometimes. I get ahead of myself there.
    And to stop needing...that is still a goal, not an action point, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a journey, and I imagine that's the point. If we could actually be still, we'd be like the Buddhist monks who can lower their body temperatures. That's probably a bit much to ask.

    There is an excellent film by Akira Kurosawa,"Kagemusha", in which a commoner is forced to pretend to be a dead warlord, of whom he is almost a twin. The warlord was known as "The Mountain" because no matter how dire the situation, he sat stoic and unmoving. Maybe we need to learn to be still so life does not overwhelm us? Face what life sends us with equanimity? Talk about something that seems impossible!

    ReplyDelete