10.28.2013

first of all, it was October, a rare month for boys

  • First of all, is autumn your favorite season? Why or why not?
    I suppose it is, though each of them has its ups and downs. Considering where I'm from, I would be hard-pressed to say that I'm a true fan of anything but the change of seasons.
  • Is it 'autumn' or 'fall' to you?
    it is autumn, but I'm not weird about it with others
  • What kind of weather does your area get during this season?
    lots of sun, a few clouds every few days, a little rain. It stays moderately cool for quite a long time here--last year it was pretty ridiculous, with no snow until December at least. We've already had snow once this year, though it amounted to nothing at all.
  • Were you born in an autumn month?
    I was not
  • Do you pay attention to any 'fall fashions'?
    not in the sense that you mean. I wear what's necessary to keep the elements off, to remain on the right side of the law, and to be comfortable. Beyond that, whatever "fashion" I achieve is mere luck.
  • Which leaf color is your favorite?
    I'm not sure if this qualifies as a color, but when I sought a photo of what I think autumn "should look like," this captured my interest first
  • Is it still fun to rake the leaves and jump in piles of them?
    nope. I have seasonal allergies that are kicked off badly by mold, and apparently there's something in leaf rot that makes my head feel like it's been taken over by colonies of Yuck. The raking wouldn't be bad, and the jumping wouldn't even be such a dreadful experience, but I would be in such agony afterward that it wouldn't be worthwhile.
  • When can you really tell that it's autumn?
    when it is, arbitrarily, "sweater weather"
  • Do you enjoy carving pumpkins?
    I don't do it regularly enough to know. Probably? I've never removed a limb while doing it, anyway.
  • Do you eat the pumpkin seeds? If so, do you put any kind of flavoring on it?
    I have, though I wouldn't seek them out. I guess I'm not really a seed fan overall. I would probably like them better if they were more highly seasoned.
  • Are you planning to go to a pumpkin patch this year?
    wild horses could not drag me. I look forward to someday not having a fine layer of disdain for all things pumpkin-related, though. (It's about the town in which I live and what I've had to deal with for the past ten years or so, though, and not really about pumpkins.)
  • Which was your favorite Halloween costume to wear?
    I never really had a costume that I thought was clever or that suited me terribly well. I leave that open for "someday."
  • Are you planning to go trick-or-treating? Why or why not?
    I hope to avoid the whole shebang
  • Are there any county fairs or festivals held nearby during this time?
    oh, yeah
  • What is your favorite dessert for this time of year?
    I've been thinking a lot about homemade brownies and about oatmeal butterscotch cookies.
  • Is your Thanksgiving Day in October or November, if you even celebrate it?
    it's in November, and I either go hog-wild or don't do it at all
  • If you do celebrate it, where do you usually have Thanksgiving dinner?
    with friends
  • Do you remember any crafts you used to do that were autumn-themed?
    it's been a while since I've "done crafts" as such, so nothing's coming to mind
  • Are any of your favorite bands doing a fall tour this year?
    yes! Alkaline Trio is on tour with New Found Glory. I just missed Gary Allan at the local place, sharing headlining set time with Sheryl Crow. Josh Ritter is going all over the place, including a very cool venue in the big city to the east. Hmm--I wonder if I could get the lawyer to accompany me there?
  • Which new TV show are you looking forward to this season?
    I thought I was going to watch The Blacklist with James Spader, but I seem to have avoided that fate. My next television foray is likely to be The Tudors on DVD.
  • How does autumn typically make you feel?
    warm (since most homes and businesses are typically over-heated for my comfort level) and slightly anxious (because I'm not one to look forward to oncoming winter)
  • What color do you always associate with autumn?
    didn't we cover this? All of them.
  • Is there a song that always reminds you of this season?
    "Raining in Baltimore" by Counting Crows
  • Do you have any seasonal traditions?
    at this time of year? Other than the practical ones, no.
  • Do you spend a lot of time outside during this time of the year?
    to be honest, I rarely spend much time outside, period. I would like to change that up someday, living someplace other than this area, but for now I'll be a homebody
  • How can you tell that fall is over?
    when I have to cover my ears to be outside, every time
  • What is a typical autumn outfit that you wear?
    sweater, unlined leather jacket, jeans
  • Describe a perfect autumn day:
    sleep late, read a lot, take naps, eat what sounds good when it sounds good, write, go to bed when I feel like it. (Which, of course, is the perfect day regardless of season.)
  • Do you hate it when stores start promoting Christmas early?
    I do. It's hard to sustain "spirit" for so long, and it starts to seem like work long before the true season kicks in. I would much rather do my shopping with no annoying promotions there to "help" me for a couple of months, and then truly be able to enjoy them when they show up--after Thanksgiving!
  • What is your favorite thing about this season?
    being comfortable in long sleeves and jeans, after a long summer of roasting in shorts and t-shirts
[from The Cat, who got it here; the title quotation is by Ray Bradbury, from Something Wicked This Way Comes]

No comments:

Post a Comment