2.23.2014

never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it

  • If you download torrents, what torrent program do you use?
    I don't. That would be contraindicated by a promise that I made fifteen years ago this November.
  • If you go to school, will this year be different?
    if I went to school, every year would be different. Alas....
  • Do you own a trenchcoat?
    not anymore. I have, in punkier days. Those were good days.
  • The last person you kissed, have they ever done something special for you?
    besides kissing me? Sure. He's a good guy.
  • Do you know anyone who DOESN'T have an ex?
    this is the most ridiculous question I've seen in a long, long time. It does not deserve an answer. As such: FREE SPACE!

    “You have deep-seated survival anxieties. And you don't like bigots, bullies, snobs or hypocrites. Subconsciously there are many people you hate."

    "Consciously, sir, consciously," Yossarian corrected in an effort to help. "I hate them consciously.” 

    [Joseph Heller, from Catch-22--which is unfortunately relevant today]
  • Are you able to count to ten in another language?
    I can count to ten in at least five languages including my primary one
  • Is there something you know you have to do, but haven't done it yet?
    since I'm not dead yet, that's a safe bet. For instance, my taxes await.
  • Is anyone you know really religious?
    lots of people I know are, that I know of, "really religious." Others may be, without my knowledge, even.
  • Can you sing?
    there is a vast difference between having the ability and having the skill
  • Have you ever read Gone With the Wind?
    there is a vast difference between having the ability and having the desire
  • If you look back at pictures of yourself from years ago, do you hate it?
    times change; people change. Hating who I was or what I looked like seems pretty pointless.
  • Are your eyebrows naturally thick?
    as compared to...? They get the job done, I believe.
  • Is there someone that likes you and won't leave you alone?
    as a matter of fact, yes. There are, at this time, four people that I can't seem to make understand that acquaintanceship does not always make a good basis for something more.
  • Has an animal ever taken a strong dislike to you?
    my grade school friend Christa had a cat that was part Siamese, who chirped like a bird. His name, not surprisingly, was Catbird. Catbird hated my guts. He regularly tried to jump at my face, but I was too freaked out by him to be near him for any length of time, so he never had the chance. Creepy little bastard.
  • When was the last time someone gave you a hand-written letter?
    last week, I think? It happens pretty regularly - because I send them pretty regularly.
  • Has someone ever told you how they felt about you in a letter?
    again: it happens pretty regularly
  • Have you ever told someone else how you felt about them in a letter?
    yep
  • Do you find emails to not be as personal as letters?
    lots of times, email is far too personal for my taste. In all seriousness, it's just the method, not the content. It's no more or less personal than any other way of communicating.
  • Enough about letters: have you ever broken the law?
    of course. If any adult says they haven't, it's a bad bet to believe them.
  • Have you ever attempted to cut your own hair?
    not that I can recall, and I've never been told that I did it as a child. I know that one of my siblings did it for me once.
  • Has speaking in front of people ever made you sick?
    I don't like it, but I can do it. It's never made me sick, though, no.
  • Do you follow a lot of bands and musicians on Facebook?
    not a lot, but there are a few. I like getting the inside view, when they're willing to share it. When it's just "pay to hear me play at this venue" or "my new song came out; pay to download it," then I'm not so interested.
  • Have you ever wanted to tell someone how you felt, but never did?
    yes. That's what high school was like - and also a decent portion of adulthood, alas.
  • What was the last movie that made you teary-eyed?
    A Royal Affair was no barrel of monkeys.
  • Do you have a lucky or special coin?
    there are some coins, but more important is the collection of stones, all of which have some meaning and value to me
  • Do you find you have a lot of notebooks that aren't close to being filled?
    exactly the opposite: I have an inordinate number of notebooks and journals, all full, that wear on me. Keep? Store under lock and key? Destroy?
  • Do you love ice cream cake more than normal cake?
    ice cream cake is terrible
  • Do you sometimes write "lol" when in reality, you aren't laughing?
    never. If something makes me smile, it gets ":)". If it makes me sort of snicker, then I'll "HA!" or "haha". If I'm literally laughing out loud, then I'll "LOL". And if it goes beyond laughing out loud into something with snorts and guffaws, then I'll "ROFL" or worse.

    Acronyms, like any form of communication, require specificity.
  • Have you had a piece of jewelry that turned your skin green?
    when I was a child, yes. I'm a firm believer in quality these days.
  • Do you check your email daily?
    depends on the day. Work days, it's up the whole time I'm there. Weekends, I don't check work at all, but will have my home account open pretty often. Lately, though, I've been terribly remiss in responding to messages, since I have very little computer time at home. Most of that time's taken up with extra sleep, trying to get back on my feet from this illness.
  • Your significant other, are they shorter, taller or the same height as you?
    the person in my life who comes the closest to qualifying for that title is taller than I am
  • Is there a certain type of music you love but don't tell many people about?
    no
  • Do you know all the words to your national anthem?
    first verse, yes. The irony is that I know a much greater amount of the Canadian national anthem. Oh, Canada!
  • Have you ever breathed in helium?
    yes, I took Chemistry classes in high school
  • Are you currently hungry?
    I could eat
  • Do you try to be confident and positive about your future?
    well, there is a glass, at least. Does that count?
  • The truth all comes out when someone is drunk, true?
    if there's hidden truth, then sometimes it sneaks out by way of the alcohol path, yes

[from The Cat {a much longer post that I divided into smaller ones}, who got it here; the title quotation is by Mark Twain]

1 comment:

  1. I believe I should re-re-read Catch-22 again sometime. Soon.

    ReplyDelete