1.11.2015

nothing happens until something moves

The last week has been ferociously cold (each day described as "the coldest day this winter, so far") and sporadically snowy, and somehow increasingly wretched at work. A frustrating chain of events, for sure. It didn't seem that there was much to write except repetitive whining, so I chose silence instead.

This coming week is set to be the busiest I've had since my big move. Tomorrow is a normal work day (as far as I can tell at this point). Tuesday, I work, after which I have an appointment to be transformed back into my normal self, hair-wise. (It's been FAR too long since that's happened!) Wednesday is another normal work day, followed by a dinner date with an old boyfriend from college. He'll be in the big city for work, so we're meeting in the middle. We haven't seen each other in a while--five years, maybe? longer?--and it's a rare treat to have the chance to be in the same time zone, much less to actually talk to each other face to face. Thursday morning's alarm clock is going to seem like it's ringing in the middle of the night, I'm sure, since it's going to be hard to say goodbye, and then to drive home and fall right to a restful sleep before getting up to go back to it. Thursday night will be a whirlwind of last-minute errands and packing. Friday, I work, and then the second I'm clear to do it, I'll head south: I'm going back to The Other Home. It's bff's birthday on Sunday, and anyway it's just been way too long since I've been there. I miss my kitties and my people. Though I'm not planning on doing anything while I'm there other than spending time with the couple with whom I lived for the past year and a half, I'm sure that a few bits and pieces will creep in, too, pulling me in various directions. It's such a short trip (and so dependent upon favorable weather) that I will have to be very judicious about my time and will likely disappoint someone along the way. I'll be coming back midday Sunday, and to work again on Monday.

I even had an adventure yesterday. D&R took me along on a family outing to Roch., where they and their daughter and a friend of hers went to HuHot (as always, a blast! And so delicious) before wandering around the mall for a while. After we'd walked off enough of our lunch to bend once again, so we could sit in the car without crying out, we headed back to their house. The girls went off to do Kid Stuff and we "adults" watched This Is Where I Leave You. Though I'd heard some whiny book vs. movie controversy before, I hadn't known much about the film before we watched it, and thought it was legitimately heart-wrenching and funny both. I would gladly see it again, and I also have it in my e-reader queue. Jason Bateman was good, of course (he's always good) and Tina Fey funny, but the outstanding actors in my estimation were Corey Stoll as the older brother, and Timothy Olyphant as the troubled and troubling "guy who never left town" (for a reason).

After that movie, we really let it all out: we moved down to the basement where we wouldn't be disturbed (or disturbing, so we could watch the other movie--Ratatouille--while we worked a jigsaw puzzle. I think that either means we've crossed the invisible boundary into old age, or we're just comfortable in our eccentricities.

Last night I dreamed that I went back to work at the old place, the one that I left in November. I had some stuff that I needed to finish up, apparently, and so I needed to do about three days' worth of things there. It was nearly impossible to get anything done because the place was so inefficient, nobody was actually working, and people kept coming to where I was working and either literally trying to get me to stop working (to talk my ear off or to ask me a million questions) or to just stare at me beseechingly and cry about how much they'd missed me. I finally just threw my hands up in disgust after a day and a half.

I've been asked several times if I would consider going back there. The money was good (no lie) and the job, while complex at times, was not too much for me to handle (ever). I think that dream was as sufficient an indication as any to explain it: I'm just done, and have been for a long time. Wherever I am now, it's a million miles away from where I was when I was there. I may not be where I want to be forever, but I know that going back is the wrong thing to do.

[the title quotation is by Albert Einstein]

No comments:

Post a Comment