2.21.2015

a little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal

  • Favorite fictional couple?
    Sophie and Ned, from Snowed In by Christina Bartolomeo. Smart, weary, and far from perfect, they still live in my brain and heart years after the first time that I read the book.
  • Favorite fictional character?
    Everett Chance, from The Brothers K by David James Duncan.
  • Favorite fictional TV show?
    Um, presumably this means 'fiction' and not 'imaginary'?

    Leverage. It was that perfect mix of geek-sweet, tense and funny, with just enough Moonlighting-style will-they-or-won't-they to make it compelling in that way, too. It doesn't hurt that I've got a solid crush on Timothy Hutton, either.
  • Favorite fictional movie?
    To follow that trend--I've always loved Beautiful Girls. Tim Hutton was, of course, the best. Natalie Portman is terrific, as are Matt Dillon and Uma Thurman (not always my cup of tea). The soundtrack, too, completely brings me back. I should really pick that up....
  • Favorite fictional villain?
    The Monster (Robert John Burke), from No Such Thing. Wait, is he a villain, or an anti-hero? If he's the latter, then I'll choose Henry Fool (the gorgeous and brilliant Thomas Jay Ryan), from Henry Fool, Fay Grim, and Ned Rifle. Wait, but, he's the anti-hero, too.

    Oooh! Stansfield! Gary Oldman's character in
    The Professional!
  • Favorite fictional hero?
    Léon, of course--Jean Reno--from The Professional.
  • Favorite fictional pet?
    Rastro
  • Favorite fictional setting/universe?
    Westeros, I should think? It's awfully compelling.
  • Least favorite fictional couple?
    Stephanie Plum and Joe Morelli. I loved the books the first time I read them (a short subset of them, anyway), but the romance was utterly unbelievable beyond maybe the fourth entry in the series. For a smart guy, Joe is an utter idiot when it comes to that girl, who plays him for a fool from day two of their relationship.

    It really doesn't help that the delightfully imaginary picture that I'd had in my head has been replaced in my mind by that dreadful actress who played her in the [panned] film. Ugh.
  • Least favorite fictional character?
    I don't know if it's my absolute least favorite, but the pilot (?) that Owen Wilson played in Behind Enemy Lines was God-awful.
  • Least favorite fictional TV show?
    Tw0 Br0k# G!rl$. It makes me want to break every television that I can possibly find with a hammer, and then crush my own skull so I can never remember that I've seen even one moment of it. Those women should be deeply, deeply ashamed of themselves and the degree to which they've set back human dignity.
  • Least favorite fictional movie?
    Joe vs. the Volcano. Hands down, the most awful movie I've ever seen.
  • Least favorite fictional villain?
    Cruella de Vil, who always made me cry as a child
  • Least favorite fictional hero?
    any reconstituted comic book superhero--the antithesis of creativity
  • Least favorite fictional pet?
    was Donald Duck a pet? In any case, I couldn't understand a damn thing he was saying. Ever.
  • Least favorite fictional setting/universe?
    I'm not a huge fan of the southwest. Not that it's "bad", but I don't have any personal relevance for it, so I can't place myself into a book or movie that is set there.

[from Le Chat, who got it here; the title quotation is by Oscar Wilde]

No comments:

Post a Comment