- Have you ever hopelessly failed a test?
My entire Torts class (1L) was a hopeless almost-failure. I barely squeaked by with a D, but so many of my classmates did the same (or worse) that, on the scale, I would have ended up with something like a B. In my old-fashioned way of thinking, that is some incredibly poor teaching. We weren't all that stupid.
- If you had a year off, what would you want to do?
- What's your favourite feature on the opposite sex?
the brain. Eyes and a voice don't hurt, either.
- What's your least favourite feature on the opposite sex?
anything used for the purposes of evil. And I'm not much of a connoisseur of noses, which in the abstract are pretty funny looking.
- Who was the last person to send you a text message?
my last electronic communication came from the monkey man
- Have you ever accidentally injured anyone?
yes. I inadvertently scratched someone's eye a couple of years ago. I still feel squeamish and awkward about it, even after so long, and not being in contact with that person.
- What's the best way to your heart?
truth, cleverness, knotted strings & pretty stones, honest affection, music, and words
- Do you know your own mobile phone number off by heart?
- If you could live anywhere, where would that be?
I'm not going anywhere, thanks. This is it.
- Have you ever been famous?
today was my "anniversary birthday party" at work. Every month there is a 'birthday party', celebrating the birthdays and work anniversaries coming up in the next month, and also anything else that's going on that we all need to know about. It's sort of a work meeting but with a VERY lighthearted atmosphere. It is marginally catered (generally donuts and coffee) and there's always quite a bit of laughing.
My anniversary is November 10, so mine was among the names called this morning. Birthdays get a little gift and also a check from the organization; anniversaries just get the gift. It is a pleasure to be recognized, but it is also slightly embarrassing to get up in front of everyone to be noticed, too, so it's always a little awkward and I'm glad when it's over. I didn't even see what was in the bag until I got back to my desk after the party--some candy, lip balm, and a lottery ticket.
I won! (A dollar, but still.)
- If you could be trained up in any profession of your choice by top professionals what profession would you choose?
several years ago, I asked one of the people I admire most in the world if I should go to grad school, to get an MFA in writing. He told me that I should, that I would do very well. "In fact," he wrote, "why bother? Why not just go out and actually write?" That question alone did more to train me than a lot of "top professionals" ever could. I trust that judgment.
- Which of the 5 senses would you say is your strongest?
hearing. It's a blessing and a curse.
- What's the most expensive thing you've ever broken?
the faith of someone who loved me
[taken from here and divided; the title quotation is by Stephen King, from On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft]