4.08.2016

don’t waste this breath, if your heart isn’t crazy, since 'the rest of your life' won’t last forever

Ten things for today:
  • Waking up with a headache is for the birds. It has happened way too many times lately (like, every day in the last week).
  • Someone that I once loved is opening a marijuana dispensary. It comes as no surprise, and in fact makes me smile really big every time I think about it. He is absolutely one of a kind, and I wish him all that's good, in this and everything else.
  • There are at least four avocado pits in my refrigerator right now, waiting patiently for some glass space to open up so they can try to grow. The farm might be getting a little out of hand...
  • ...and I can't seem to hold off on acquiring other plants and seeds. Does anyone know anything about gardening??
  • Tomorrow (I'm writing this on the 7th) is the birthday of one of my very favorite people on the planet: my former boss, Andy. I don't know where he is or what he's doing, but he's remembered very fondly by me. "I'm Every Woman"
  • I'm calling a moratorium on both excessive consumption, both in terms of literal spending and also eating and unhealthy behavior. My budget has gone off the rails (however easy it's been to rationalize the "it's for the house" excuses) and my clothes don't fit the way that they ought; it's time to make some changes. Don't be surprised to hear me complaining about eating carrots and going for walks when I'd rather be reading - or shopping.
  • After being in really great shape for most of the last year, my fingernails are back to a short, breaking, painful mess. Unless it's stress (which is hardly at its peak right now), I can't imagine what's happening to them, but I'd love for it to end. I don't need gorgeous, but not sore would be terrific.
  • My uncle's memorial service is on Saturday. (He passed away in January while at their winter home in Florida.) It will be good to see everyone and to have the chance to say farewell. He will be much missed.
  • Saturday is the annual spring artisan show at the museum, too, as well as one of the performances of my friends' daughter's school play. I will likely be up and out from very early until very late that day. Sometimes having a lot to do, being surrounded by family and friends, is a blessing.
  • I had planned this post to be a sort of personal riff on fidelity and constancy, but it turned out more preachy and less fluid than I'd hoped, so I'm sending it back to the drawing board for more work. Or prehaps less work and more feeling. Anyway, I'm hopeful that it will show up here for real someday.

[the title quotation is by Omar Khayyám, from Quatrains--Ballades]

No comments:

Post a Comment