- Do you keep notes, drawings or letters that people give you?
Some yes--forever--and some temporarily. Others, no. I send a lot more than I receive, but as a sender, I still probably get a lot more than I might otherwise. Even though I can't make myself look too closely yet, a few of those seemingly innocuous items mean more than I could ever explain.
- How many true best friends are present in your life?
Three. Different seasons, different reasons, different ways.
One person that I would have put into that category has removed herself from contact so thoroughly that I no longer believe that she wants to be friends, even a little. There is no obvious reason to take that personally, but it stings pretty hard, nonetheless.
- Do you currently have a significant other?
- Would you be able to stand being in the same room as someone you hate?
it happens every day. For instance, one of the people that I work with recently revealed that someone else with whom we work--who has always rubbed me the wrong way--expressed displeasure with an unflattering comparison that has been made between her and something else. The funny thing? It was a uniquely phrased insult that I had made, and the only person at work that I have EVER said that to is the one who told me that the woman was annoyed by it.
Yes, I know, I brought that on myself. But I also learned in a big, bold way that the other person, who I obviously thought that I could trust, will tell anyone anything if the payoff is sufficient. (And she's also too stupid to realize what she's revealing.)
Never again. This is one of those areas in my life where one strike means you're out. Thanks be to Johnnie for that lesson.
- Do you depend on people at all, in any way?
I depend upon a whole host of people, all the time. Maybe not as many as some people, and probably not to the degree that some others do. But yes, I do.
- Have you ever lost a close friend?
- Has anybody ever held a grudge against you for a dumb reason?
I'm sure all their reasons were valid. I'm pretty irritating.
- Have you ever stayed up late talking to someone you like on the phone or online?
yep, notoriously. It hasn't happened in a while. I miss that, now and then. Text messages aren't the same.
- Have you ever felt back-stabbed by a close friend?
oh yeah. The work-person situation above doesn't count--she wasn't a close friend to begin with, so the loss isn't emotional so much as practical.
The example that comes to mind is a guy that I went out with as a freshman in college. He pursued me, and we dated for several months. I came to like him a great deal. It was only through a complex series of interlocking events that I was forced to discover his involvement with someone else. He had, in fact, been seeing her for a number of years. I was blown away by that betrayal, which was as devastating on the friendship level as it was the dating relationship. I never understood why he pursued me so hard and maintained the fiction for so long, when he must have realized that it was bound to explode in his face eventually. I'm probably still compensating for the injuries sustained there.
- Have you ever regretted ignoring anybody?
There isn't any way to say all of that. Just, hug your people. Say the words. Don't take one God damned thing for granted.
- Has a friend of yours ever confessed their love to you?
my friends tend to tell me they love me a whole lot--probably because I am full of answers like the last one. And because my friends are fucking amazing.
Has a friend ever fallen for me, though, and then told me so? Well, I don't know if we were friends first (like, "just friends") or not, but there's a thing with a friend, yes. Former and sporadic and wrapped around and through just about everything else that's ever happened in my life. Do I see that as "confession"? No, it is putting words to something that has always been true. Is it a future thing? Maybe. Probably not. I don't know. The love is there, whether it has any expression other than feeling.
- Have you written or drawn anything for somebody else?
- Do you tend to hide your emotions from certain people? How do you hide them?
since I'm an autistic ogre, I do indeed. I put 'em in your pantry with the cupcakes.
- Do your friends know how to make you smile in tough times?
some of them. Some cry with me. Others couldn't make me smile (or cry) at knife-point, with specially-made clowns.
- Could you picture yourself on a reality TV show?
only sports. Or eating something mind-blowing (and talking about books) with Anthony Bourdain.
- Are you better at drawing or coloring?
I like turtles.
- Do you prefer meat or seafood?
I don't eat anything that swims in its own poop.
- Have you ever read the Bill of Rights / Declaration of Independence?
probably? Though I generally rely on others to spoon-feed me whatever I may need to know.
- Would you rather become a police officer or a firefighter?
I think I'd make a lousy cop (compromised hand strength alone would make law enforcement a challenge) and so I would choose firefighting.
[grabbed from The Cat, who got it here; the title quotation is by Jim Butcher, from Blood Rites]