- This song is a rather shameless come-on by an accomplished ladies' man. Do you enjoy flirting?
sometimes it's a thrill. Other times it's enormously wearing, and makes me feel old and far too wise.
- Shaggy sings that he's like a turtle coming out of his shell. Do you think turtles, snakes and lizards make good pets? Or would you prefer a companion animal that has fur or feathers?
K and I considered getting a lizard, a hundred years ago when we were talking about living together. It was a muse on my part, because the idea of picking one up makes me incredibly squeamish. I'm 100% afraid of snakes, and turtles just don't do anything for me at all.
I feel the same way about birds, though. Just can't see the point of having one in a cage, when what's inherently awesome about birds is the fact that they fly and do what they will.
For me, it's cats or nothing. Maybe, in a truly distant universe, a dog. But probably just a cat.
- He also sings that if you don't feel like driving, you should hand him the keys. Are you comfortable letting others drive your car?
not really. I'm OK with my dad doing it, or one or two of my friends--but generally not with me as a passenger. If I can let you drive my car without getting all weird, then I trust you a LOT.
- He tries to woo the girl with the promise of a bubble bath. Do you enjoy relaxing in the tub? Or do you view baths and showers as simply part of your hygiene routine, like brushing your teeth?
I enjoy it, but I don't do it very often. I'm out of the habit of indulging myself like that. It's easy to convince ourselves that life is too busy for relaxing.
When does it slow down?
- Born Orville Burrell, Shaggy took his stage name from his shaggy hair. Using your hair as inspiration, what would your stage name be?
- Sam admits she hadn't thought about this 20+ year old song in years, until she heard it on a Chase Bank commercial. According to the Federal Reserve Bank, check-writing dropped more than 50% between 2000 and 2010. Who received the last check you wrote?
the local computer repair shop. My desktop is on its last legs, and I bought it a few more moments.
- Which would you prefer to receive in a birthday card: a $25 check or a $20 Target gift card?
a check is fine. God knows I'm at the bank often enough.
- Sam's mother refuses to pay bills online. All the news stories about data breaches scare her. Have you ever been hacked? If so, did it take long to get the situation resolved?
everybody's been hacked. It's only a matter of whether they've decided to tell you or not.
- In 1995, when this song was popular, Michael Jordan "unretired" and returned to the Chicago Bulls. Tell us about a decision you made that you wish you could undo.
I had an opportunity to go to Las Vegas a few years ago, and I did not. By choosing to give in to my fear, my life was changed. What would have been, if I'd taken that trip?
I wish I knew.
[grabbed from The Cat, who got it here; the title quotation is by Stephen King, from Just After Sunset]