1.29.2017

it was the myth of a rainy night

Day 29: skyline
  1. What is the most magical thing that has ever happened to you? love, despite experiences to the contrary
  2. How would you tell your friend his or her fly was open in public? of course: that's friendship, in a nutshell. So to speak.
  3. Does a good friend tell you you've got something in your teeth or pretend not to notice it? friends protect us from the bad stuff, not by lying but by helping us deal with it. There's no pretending not to notice it, just getting it out.
  4. The world has many secrets. Have you learned any? Will you share it? yup, I have--but secrets are, by their nature, not to be told
  5. Are there any bands you like so much that you want to get their music video collection on DVD? I don't think so? I mean, there are a few bands that I really, really like, and to have their video collections would be fantastic, but it's an unlikely focus of my budget at this time. For instance, as I write this I'm listening to R.E.M. on shuffle from my iTunes. To have their video collection, or concerts, or interviews, would be wonderful. But would I watch them enough to bear out the cost? Or would I be more likely to use a box-set of re-releases or never-before-released songs? That's easy to understand.

    And I feel that way about a few artists and groups. It's about the music for me, not 'the experience.'
  6. What do you need advice about? offering and taking advice. Money. Love. Getting enough protein in my diet. Fingernails. Clothes. Understanding human behavior.
  7. Have you ever been half-asleep and heard voices? only when there was another person present..?
  8. Do you have a good luck charm? not in so many words, no. I do keep certain things close to me, though, for reasons that I don't contemplate too closely. Is it for luck, or comfort, or sentiment? Does it matter?
  9. Should animals have the same right to life as people? my first reaction to that is to say No, and it is the word 'same' that I get stuck on. It's hard for me to buy that sameness from either a practical, philosophical standpoint or a religious argument.
  10. What is your least favorite body part? in general? Noses are pretty weird, when you start to look at them closely.
    On me--my lower back. It is not functioning properly, and anyway it's not all that attractive.
  11. Do you enjoy British comedy? some of it. Monty Python holds a place dear to my heart.
  12. Are there ever happy endings or does nothing end? "Jesus, everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end." [from the movie Cocktail]

    In other words--I believe in happily ever after. But I also believe that things end for a reason, and concepts like staying friends with someone you've been involved with are generally flawed and doomed from the start. It's often best to just...stop.
  13. What is your worst trait? impatience, or maybe impetuosity. Prehaps precision.
  14. Is the world more beautiful because of love? infinitely
  15. What is the essence of you? oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium
  16. What really inspires you? literature, others' creativity, and the ridiculous
  17. Have you met your soul mate? maybe. I've definitely met him in feline form. As for the human, that remains in question.
  18. Is every day a special occasion? um, probably? Every day's a holiday, anyway, and somebody's birthday.
  19. What sound would you rather hear than any sound in the world? the laughter of someone I love
  20. Of the following which word best describes you: natural / outgoing / polite / quick thinking? quick thinking
  21. Do any commercials make you want to break your TV? sure, most of them do. It's just another reason that I don't have TV.
  22. Have you ever lost your religion? that happened a long time ago. I've regained some faith, but religion is not something that I've reconciled.
  23. Do you want to share your life with someone? maybe?
  24. Where ARE the wild things? half a world away
  25. Would you rather have a child genetically related to you or an adopted child? neither, thank you. I'll keep the relationships I've got with the young'uns that I know, and not push it.
  26. If I had a birthday party would you come? probably not. I'm not a big party person.
  27. What seemingly impossible thing is possible? love, of course
  28. What song do you love to sing out loud? funny, there are a lot of them. I was in a strong Dave Matthews Band and Dashboard Confessional phase recently, and probably listened to "Grey Street" and "Screaming Infidelities" five hundred times each in the last three months. Before that it was Elbow and Alkaline Trio. Sister Hazel and Vertical Horizon are always good for a repeat, too.

    I'm making an effort to listen to some new stuff now, and ordered a few CDs that were recommended by friends from the library to try out, though, so we'll see where that takes me.
  29. Have you ever run through the woods naked and played in a stream (you should)? ouch! No. That sounds like it would hurt my feet, and be cold. Of course, it's about 18° outside right now, so it may not be the ideal time to contemplate exploring.
  30. Have you ever taken long solitary night walks? nope. I used to be big on long drives at night, either alone or with a good friend. And for a while I walked with Nick when we could get out, which sometimes was in the night. But not by myself.
  31. Is there more to you than anyone knows? of course - there is more to each of us than anyone knows. That's what being human is about. It is the balance between public and private, sharing and keeping, wanting and having.
  32. Can you make tonight the night that you do the things you always wanted to do? nope. I'm headed to bed soon. But tomorrow is another day.
  33. Would you rather watch life on TV or live it? another funny one. I took unexpected shit yesterday from a very unexpected source for not leaving the house for the whole weekend. Does that mean I'd rather watch life on TV than live it (or, in my case, rather read about it than live it)? No. It means I had a long, shitty week during which I was in physical pain and some emotional ... discomfort, too. Shutting down for a couple of days on the weekend is the difference between those bad feelings hanging on, or leaving them behind.
  34. What keeps you chained down? bills, obligations, and a sense of duty
  35. What is the nagging feeling in the back of your head? That the right job is out there, and that I will find it if I just keep trying. Someone that I know, or someone with whom I come in contact, knows of the right spot for me. It's just a matter of time.
  36. Do you celebrate yourself? I try. It's not exactly a priority at the moment.
  37. Does everyone get the same opportunities in life? not even close
  38. What would you consider to be better than sex? love, of course
  39. What evil is necessary? ugh. Spectacularly poor timing for this sort of question. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'evil', though. If punishment for a crime is "evil," in the sense that it is harmful to the body or to the spirit (by inflicting limits on freedom), then I certainly do. There are all sorts of 'necessary evils.' Taxes, parking tickets, bedtime. Dental appointments, lines at the movie theater, and the foul line.
  40. What's your favorite one hit wonder? from the '90s, anyway...
  41. What would you do anything for? I'd really like to go see the skyline of that big city....
  42. Do you celebrate the full moon? oh, yeah. Definitely.
  43. Have you ever gone in the water at the beach at night? yup. The river looks black at night.
  44. Are you ordinary? in some ways, sure. Everyone is.
  45. What makes people want to hang out with you? you'd have to ask "people"
  46. Have you ever felt like you've been a little bit too good to someone? yes. It's an uncomfortable sensation.
  47. What book did you like that you had to read for school? the one that stands out is Walter M. Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz
  48. What book should everyone have to read in school? Damn it, "I'm a doctor, not a database!" (from Star Trek: Voyager)
  49. Do you like the store Old Navy? meh
  50. What movie sequels do you like? I enjoyed the ST:TNG movies, though they could hardly be called great cinema. The Ocean's trilogy was good (and the original was even better). I also liked the Men in Black.
[Pulled from the 5000-question meme; this is the second piece of the sixth part. The title quotation is by Jack Kerouac, from On the Road]

1 comment:

  1. #45: A fantastic taste in books and music, delicious popovers, and conversations that seem to meld into each other ...

    ReplyDelete