2.26.2020

what good is paradise? What good are the blessings?

What is it with my heart
that holds itself back from becoming yours?
What is it with my body
that resists annihilation?

Let's say I own the sky and the moon.
If they don't give off light,
what use are they to me?

Let's say I go to paradise
and am bathed in blessings.
Since it torments me
not to see your face,
what good is paradise?
What good are the blessings?

Since you are the one
who scolds children for misbehaving,
how could soul and heart
stay away from making mischief?

A jasmine doesn't smile,
a tree's branch doesn't move,
a plant doesn't grow and send forth fragrance
without the morning breeze.

[Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī {Rumi} {1207-1273} 'The Language of the Heart' from The Forbidden Rumi: The Suppressed Poems of Rumi on Love, Heresy, and Intoxication]

No comments:

Post a Comment