4.09.2020

I find it soothing, the thought of a movie theater

I'm all caught up! Never say that I do not watch a variety of movie genres and styles. This particular group is a strange one, though, even for me. I have started to get a little feedback on my request for suggestions, but more is always welcome so keep it coming! The more variety we see here, the more fun it will be for everyone.

Sense & Sensibility {BBC} (2008) - "Widow Dashwood and her three unmarried daughters, Elinor, Marianne and Margaret, inherit only a tiny allowance. So they move out of their grand Sussex home to a more modest cottage in Devonshire. There, the prevailing ambition is to find suitable husbands for the girls. With help from wealthy neighbor Sir John Middleton, suitors for Elinor and Marianne are soon found, but not landed. They include dashing Willoughby, future vicar Edward Ferrars and retired colonial gentleman Colonel Brandon."
I watched it because: it was recommended on Amazon Prime, the story is a favorite (I've seen the 1995 Ang Lee version, with Emma Thompson, more than once), and I was looking for something calm.
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A%  Audience: N/A%
story: 4/5
visuals: 4.5/5--"I want to visit England..."
acting: 3/5--standouts: Hattie Morahan as Elinor Dashwood - it's such a meaty role, with the counterpoints of reticence and all that banked passion - and Dan Stevens (Edward Ferrars). Each imbued their characters with substance beyond the words written in the script. (Mark Gatiss is also a treat as the ineffectual step-brother John Dashwood.)
intangibles: 2.5/5--there's no denying some weakness in the film (Mrs. Dashwood is a limp dishrag, Willoughby was cast and played as a stereotype, and some of the quick-cutting and angles were far too modern for a period piece)
overall: 3.5/5

Inside the Rain (2019) - "Facing expulsion from college over a misunderstanding, a bipolar student indulges his misery at a strip club where he befriends a gorgeous, intelligent, outrageous woman and they hatch a madcap scheme to prove his innocence."
I watched it because: it was recommended on Amazon Prime (I would truly love to see how this one ended up in my "yes" list), the cover art was undeniably eye-catching, and the premise as described on Prime (vastly different from that on imdb, shared above) sounded engaging.
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 86%  Audience: 77%
story: 2/5--just because it is a story, realistic and true to someone's life, does not mean it is entertaining. 75 minutes of wincing, 10 minutes of sweetness, and 5 minutes of nudity doesn't add up to a good movie.
visuals: 3/5
acting: 3/5--standouts: Ellen Toland (Emma Taylor), the stripper, and Paul Schulze (David Glass), the dad
intangibles: 1/5--is this a comedy? a tragedy? a farce? What is the point of Rosie Perez and Eric Roberts, except to further clutter and already bungled up film?
overall: 2.25/5

De-Lovely (2004) - "Inspecting a magical biographical stage musical, composer Cole Porter reviews his life and career with his wife, Linda."
I watched it because: it kept popping up on my Amazon Prime recommendations, I generally like musical theater, and it seemed like a pleasant enough way to pass an evening.
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 48%  Audience: 66%
story: 2/5--almost uniformly unsympathetic characters in a biographical, romantic drama based on real events. Ugh.
visuals: 3/5
acting: 2.5/5--standout: Kevin McNally (Gerald Murphy) was the only person I could stand to watch without cringing
intangibles: 1/5--interminably long, with jarring musical numbers plunked in between maudlin and overdrawn dramatic sequences. Yuck.
overall: 2.125/5

Americano (2011) - "A man who returns to Los Angeles to wrap up his mother's estate sets out in search of the mysterious woman named in her will."
I watched it because: isn't that the million dollar question? There's another Salma-Hayek-as-a-stripper movie out there that's a personal favorite, with a very personal meaning and a deep connection for me and the person who knows me better than anyone else on the planet. So when I heard about this one, I knew I had to pick it up. And despite bewildering odds, we managed to watch it together.
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 53%  Audience: 27%
story: 1/5--I can't really explain it without using a bunch of $5 words. Inexplicable (a crying scene that seemed overdone while it happened but by the end of the film was totally wacko. Maybe it was leftover film?) Coincidental (parentage!) 11th-hour transformative (how, exactly, did the main character get from point A to point pi and a half divided by theta with a sprinkling of cilantro?) Confusing (this all happens in four different languages, including screaming, ranted German from what's supposed to be a hiding out Nazi's son?)
visuals: 2/5--there were two visuals: (1.) The Blue Period. (2.) The Sunny Period.
acting: 1.5/5--this was not an "acting" film. It was a vanity piece for the writer, who happened to also be the director, who happened to also be the lead actor. Who happened to also be a highly irritating doof. If a 95% naked Salma Hayek can't save a movie, nothing can.
intangibles: 2.5/5--there are two scenes in this film that I absolutely adored, that totally worked for me. The first was the lead couple, Martin and Claire, taking a bath together. They are quietly talking while he combs her hair. It is a very affecting moment that my mind keeps playing back. The second is also between those two characters. He is stoned, just out of the bed where he had sex with a hooker, talking on a revoltingly dirty pay phone in Tijuana to his girlfriend. She is in a lovely house on the French coast, walking along the ocean. The juxtaposition between his pathetic, disgusting desperation and her calm, blue serenity is really well done.
And I cannot let this one go to press without mentioning that there was a whole lot of Somber Piano Music.
overall: 1.75/5

Eddie Murphy: Raw (1987) - "Eddie Murphy in a stand-up performance recorded live. For an hour and a half he talks about his favorite subjects: sex and women."
I watched it because: I wanted something guaranteed funny while working on a jigsaw puzzle. (Save your commentary about the sedate nature of my endeavors--we each deal with our captivity in different ways!)
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 81%  Audience: 85%
story: N/A--there is no story here, just stand-up
visuals: Pretty basic, even for the era
acting: N/A
intangibles: This is supposed to be so hilarious, but it didn't do much for me. It takes a lot to really make me laugh, and though I've liked Eddie Murphy stuff before (see below--SO not safe for work), this ain't it.
overall: Feh.


[the title quotation is by Theophilus London]

No comments:

Post a Comment