7.16.2020

before you say 'cut', wait five more seconds

Less than a week's-worth of DVDs left in the set most recently retrieved from my parents' collection! This group kind of defines "hit or miss." 

Island in the Sky
Island in the Sky
 (1953) - "A C-47 transport plane, named the Corsair, makes a forced landing in the frozen wastes of Quebec, and the plane's pilot, Captain Dooley, must keep his men alive in deadly conditions while waiting for rescue."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: John Wayne as a pilot is a fairly new thing for me
IMDB: 6.9/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 63%
story: 5/10--when you really break it down, there is not much "story" here. Plane ices up, loses mechanicals, flies off track, lands. Other pilots, knowing they need help, fly out to search for them. The two teams use various methods for location. 
visuals: 8/10--great aerials and winter scenes. The cinematography alone makes this worth a watch.
costumes, hair & makeup: 6/10--doubtful that any actor has more than one costume
acting: 7.5/10--this is a fine cast. Andy Devine (Willie Moon) and James Arness (Mac McMullen), as two of the other flyers, are particularly good.
intangibles: 8.5/10--simple story, well acted, bittersweet and inspirational
overall: 7/10
I would recommend this to: those interested in aerial filmmaking, exploring the Canadian wilderness, or John Wayne completists

Bengal Brigade
Bengal Brigade
 (1954) - "Set [in] British India [in] 1857, Captain Claybourne (Rock Hudson) is faced with restoring his reputation after being harshly disciplined for disobeying orders."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I know nothing about this era or location in history
IMDB: 5.6/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 25%
story: 3/10
visuals: 4/10
costumes, hair & makeup: 5/10
acting: 4/10--standout: Arlene Dahl (Vivian Morrow)
intangibles: 3/10--kind of a mess. Lots of tangents and seeming political agendas and strange romantic twists. 
overall: 3.8/10
I would recommend this to: uhmmm, maybe someone who really likes melodrama?
 
Musicares Tribute to James Taylor
Great Performances: A Tribute to James Taylor
 (2006) - "The Musicares Foundation is proud to honor James Taylor as their person of the year 2006. Best known as the quintessential singer-songwriter, James has maintained an unparalleled commitment to music and various philanthropic efforts."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: the war movies are kinda getting to me
IMDB: 7.9/10
Rotten Tomatoes: N/A%
visuals: pretty good production value
performance--standout: Sting's performance of "You Can Close Your Eyes"
I would recommend this to: fans of the artist, of course. There are a number of tribute covers, as well as some background on the artist. 

In Enemy Country
In Enemy Country
 (1968) - "Wartime secret agents are on a mission to destroy a deadly new type of torpedo hidden in a Nazi stronghold in France."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: I have not seen a Tony Franciosa film before. What's all the fuss about? 
IMDB: 5.8/10
Rotten Tomatoes: N/A%
story: 2/10--oddball like a Pink Panther movie, with "accents" all over the map.
visuals: 4/10
costumes, hair & makeup: 5/10
acting: 4/10--standout: Guy Stockwell (Braden)
intangibles: 2/10
overall: 3.4/10
I would recommend this to: nope. 

White Countess
The White Countess
(2005) - "Set in 1930s Shanghai, where a blind American diplomat develops a curious relationship with a young Russian refugee who works odd - and sometimes illicit - jobs to support members of her dead husband's aristocratic family."
Source: recommended on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I have never seen a Natasha Richardson film before
IMDB: 6.6/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 49% Audience: 49%
story: 8/10
visuals: 8/10
costumes, hair & makeup: 8.5/10
acting: 8.5/10--standout: Ralph Fiennes
intangibles: 9/10--I thought it was terrific, reminding me of The Painted Veil both in content and mood
overall: 8.4/10
I would recommend this to: anyone with an appreciation for complicated, sad, deeply romantic films

True Grit (1969)
True Grit
 (1969) - "A drunken, hard-nosed U.S. Marshal and a Texas Ranger help a stubborn teenager track down her father's murderer in Indian Territory."
Source: recommended on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I saw the remake in May (reviewed here) and have been wanting to see the original ever since
IMDB:7.4/10
Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 88% Audience: 84%
story: 8.5/10
visuals: 7/10
costumes, hair & makeup: 7.5/10--surprisingly good
acting: 9/10--this is John Wayne's only Oscar-winning performance, as Rooster Cogburn. Glen Campbell is also captivating as the Texas Ranger LaBoeuf.
intangibles: 9/10--having seen the remake first (and now I realize that I had not seen this one before), I know that story was built out and complicated quite a bit. This is the simpler, more pure version. Each has much to recommend it.
Academy Award winner: 
• Best Actor--Wayne
• Best Music, Original Song
overall: 8.2/10
I would recommend this to: anyone. Period.

[the title quotation is by Wim Wenders]

No comments:

Post a Comment