8.06.2020

I like physics, but I love cartoons

from "250 Conversation Starters"
 
70. What makes you nervous? performing in crowds, driving someplace I've never been before. Talking on the phone with the guy I like.
71. Who is the funniest person you've met? a former colleague from the library always makes me laugh with the silly things he posts on FB
72. What weird or useless talent do you have? I'm very good with maintaining a sense of direction inside shopping malls
73. What are some strange beliefs that some people have? that celery is edible, that yellow is an appropriate color for a non-emergency or school vehicle, or that dogs are better than cats in any way
74. Who would be the worst person to be stuck in an elevator with? How about the best? 
worst: someone who chatters when they are nervous
best: someone who's chill, gently funny, and interesting to talk with (and OK being silent, too)
75. What was the best birthday wish or gift you've ever received? text messages a couple years ago
M*A*S*H
76. What's the best sitcom, past or present?
M*A*S*H
78. What will be the future of TV shows? probably "produced in a bubble," oddly distant, and written for binging rather than consumption over time
79. How often do you binge watch shows? I get tired of them pretty quickly, but I have done that with a couple of them. Most recently it was Star Trek: Deep Space Nine while I was sick over the winter.
80. What cartoons did you watch as a kid? the classics: Looney Tunes (I especially loved Bugs & Elmer Fudd, and Tweety Bird & Sylvester the cat), the Flintstones, the Jetsons, Scooby Doo...
sexy librarian Bugs Bunny
84. If you could bring back one TV show that was cancelled, which one would you bring back? Homefront, which was on ABC from 1991-1993. Kyle Chandler played one of the main characters, in his pre-Friday Night Lights days.
89. What is the most overrated movie? Some Like it Hot didn't do much for me
90. What is your favorite genre of movie? drama
91. Which do you prefer, books or movies? that's like asking which I prefer, eating or drinking? Or sleeping or breathing? All necessary.
92. What movie scene choked you up the most?reading this prompt brings to mind a maelstrom of half-remembered scenes and surreptitious eye-wiping. "The most" is a high bar, especially for someone whose cry motor functions as speedily as mine. Some possibilities:
  • Léon shoving Mathilda down the chute in The Professional
  • oh, Captain...
    the final "Oh Captain, My Captain" in Dead Poets Society
  • the porch scene in The Village
93. Do you like documentaries? Why or why not? I have seen a few that I have liked, but it is not my favorite genre. Too much preaching and not enough entertainment for my taste.
94. What's the worst movie you have seen recently? Raid on Rommel pretty much sucked
97. When was the last time you went to a movie theater? sometime around Valentine's Day, to see 1917
98. What was the last movie you watched? How was it? as I type this, I'm watching Schindler's List. I saw it for the first (and only previous) time in February 2006. How is it? Devastating. Revolting. Shocking. Terrifying. Ultimately, heartening.
100. Do you prefer to watch movies in the theater or in the comfort of your own home? some movies are made for the big screen, while others are perfect for curling up on the couch and sinking into, all on your own. I see a lot of films (which ought to be apparent by now?), mostly by myself on my home TV. I like the flexibility of choosing what to watch, whether on DVD or the (literal) dozen streaming options that I have now. Still, these days, going to the theater sounds almost unbearably wonderful: to kick back in those 2-seater recliners with popcorn (hot and FRESH movie theater buttered popcorn!) and see a brand new film...I am just about moaning with delight. 

[excerpted from here; the title quotation is by Stephen Hawking]

No comments:

Post a Comment