8.26.2020

leaves me in a cool, cool sweat

from 100 Getting to Know You Questions 

shoes
52. How often do you buy clothes?  wow, I must be old. I buy clothes when I want or need something, not on a schedule.

55. What's the most daring thing you've ever done?  flew to Dallas to meet a guy I'd connected with online. I had no reason to trust him, and really should have been much more skeptical of the whole situation (as should he). Apart from serious trouble during the flight (we lost an engine, had to land in Tulsa rather abruptly, and they scrambled to find a different plane for the last leg), the trip was mostly good. His kids viewed me with some suspicion. I later found out that they still harbored some hope that he and their mother would reconcile, as he had not dated since their divorce some time earlier. Being from so far away also set me apart in an exotic way; his son memorably asked me "what do you [i.e. people from the north] eat?" It was sweet and very dorky. As ought to be clear, the four of us did not go on to become a family - but that daring trip was unforgettable.

57. What was the last book you read?  I just finished The Family Man by Elinor Lipman. It was a
Family Man
reread, one of my favorites.

58. What's your favorite type of foreign food?  Greek

59. Are you a clean or messy person?  naturally messy, adapted to tidy by necessity

60. Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life?  I would not be in favor of a movie version at this juncture. There are too many variables that need ironing out first.

61. How long does it take you to get ready in the morning?  this is a little embarrassing and I know I'm going to take shit for it later, but I usually get out of bed around 7:15 to work at 7:30. Obviously this applies only to when I am working from home. On regular in-office days I had been allowing about 45 minutes from crawling out of bed to getting into the car. Weekend versions of this process can take between 20 minutes and 5 hours, depending on my motivation and procrastination levels.

62. What kitchen appliance do you use every day?  electric kettle (to heat water for tea)

63. What's your favorite fast food chain?  Jimmy John's

64. What's your favorite family recipe? we call it "Cherry Cheese Thing"

67. What is your favorite childhood memory?  somewhere in my childhood, my parents replaced the clotheslines in the back yard. (Clotheslines are a thing in that neighborhood, and I still miss the smell and feel of line-dried sheets!) The new poles were set into concrete. After the little pads were smoothed out and the poles set and everyone had left the back yard, my cat got a little too up close and personal with the concrete. When the pads had dried, and we discovered her paw-prints daintily lined up across one side. 

That was the last thing I went back to see before my parents sold that house - those little paw-prints from my girl.

69. How old were you when you learned Santa wasn't real? How did you find out?  my (older) siblings shared that little detail when I was probably 3 or 4? Well too young to have figured it out on my own. One of them sat on me while the other revealed the identity of Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and the mystical made up world on Mr. Rogers. Then, while I was crying myself to sleep at nap time, they locked themselves in the garage and removed the training wheels from my bike. "You've got to learn sometime!" Fuckers. (I'm laughing - they weren't wrong, of course, and I've still got all my limbs and a relatively intact psyche.)

71. What's the craziest thing you’ve done in the name of love?  moved 500 miles from home, with no job, into an apartment where people were shooting at each other the night I moved in

72. What three items would you take with you on a deserted island?  cell phone, Fire tablet, and sunscreen

73. What was your favorite subject in school?  through high school, it was Science or Chemistry. In college, I really liked Intro to Logic. In grad school, there was a seminar on Hitler that I quite enjoyed. And in law school, maybe Evidence?

74. What's the most unusual thing you've ever eaten?  alligator bites. They really do taste like chicken.

kissing & chopsticks
75. Do you collect anything?
 foreign currency, email addresses, books about kissing, and chopstick rests 

76. Is there anything you wished would come back into fashion?  wooing

77. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?  I am an introvert - and according to this article, I am a (very high) thinking introvert and a (high) social introvert. That, in my interpretation, means I have a certain aversion to social events, and I'm (strongly) introspective. (Read more about it in this article.)

78. Which of the five senses would you say is your strongest?  smell

[from here; the title quotation is from the song "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen]

No comments:

Post a Comment