8.14.2020

love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell

from 200 Questions to Ask a Girl
 
68. Which car is so ugly you're shocked it got made?  any of the blocky people-mover types that look like cardboard boxes on wheels. They are the opposite of aerodynamic, and utterly horrid. The vehicular equivalent of mom jeans.
69. Do you prefer being warmed when you're too cold or being cooled when you're too hot?  I have a hard time "being cooled" except by jumping in a lake, and though there are several around here - that's just not happening. Anyway, there's something wonderful about "being warmed." 
70. What sentence can you say that makes total sense now but would have seemed insane 20 years ago?  "My ESOP is worth more than my 401(k)."
72. If you inherited a private jet from a stranger, what would you do with it?  sell it for cash - fast
hand massage
74. What's something weird that you recommend everyone try at least once?
  hand massage
77. What piece of culture or trend has died out, but you would like to see it make a comeback?  written correspondence. The dearth of letters and handwritten notes correlates to the degradation of penmanship in general (my own is awful) and also to a loss of thoughtfulness in interpersonal relations. It can be simple to choose a card from the drugstore, and even easier to send a meme on FB. It is much more complicated - and far more meaningful - to put one's own thoughts onto paper.
78. What's an innocent mistake you made that had dramatic consequences?  in my first job out of college, I unknowingly gave bad advice to my second boss, completely believing what I said was true (based on incomplete knowledge of the subject of our discussion). The result was the entire Washington Post conglomerate's employee payroll system being held up by 12 hours to account for our 10-person staff's wages, which were late in arriving. I did not get fired, but probably should have. Whoops.
81. If you could hear every time someone said something good about you or something negative about you, which would you choose?  I would love to hear some good. Maybe not all of it (surely that would make it loose its oomph after a while?) but one positive thing every day would be kind of awesome.
82. What do you think people automatically assume about you when they look at you?  some may presume that I conform to the ole' librarian stereotype - in truth, I am probably close to one of these alternatives....
83. Looking back on your life, what have you done that has given you the most satisfaction?  starting my life over when I was 34, rebuilding it into something new and better, like I never imagined possible before then
85. If everything was quantified, what life stats would you like to see for yourself?  ah, but the best and most meaningful things cannot be quantified. It isn't all about numbers. Life is an art, not just a dry science.
86. What do you really wish you had known when you were younger?  the true meaning of "your results may vary"
88. If you were given $100,000 but it could only be used to upgrade your shower or bathtub, what upgrades would you make? 
a hundred thousand dollar bathroom sounds terrifying. Even the most luxurious upgrades that I can imagine - sunken soaking tub, rain-shower fixtures, all easy-care surfaces, a wall or two of windows, state of the art ventilation, heating and cooling - would not likely come close to that number
89. When was the last time you laughed so hard that you cried?  the former intern from my office and I will "play hashtags" sometimes, by text. The last one riffed on #IntestinalWall and had me in giggly tears off and on for half an hour.
90. What's your story?  just a small town girl, living in a lonely world... 
91. What do you wish you had more time for?  writing
92. When was the last time you had a gut feeling about something that turned out to be correct? How about a time when your gut feeling was wrong?  
• I predicted that this virus thing would work itself out over a couple of months. That sense was based on some assumptions and logic that did not hold true. I was clearly wrong. 
• I was absolutely right in following my gut when my instinct told me to buy Mr. F—my Mazda CX-5—when I found it online. No test-drive, no face to face meeting, no drawn out negotiations. Just a down payment with the credit card, delivery to my workplace, and there we were! It has been a successful friendship thus far, and I am totally happy.
96. What's the biggest lie that someone told you?  someone I dated during my first year of college was engaged to someone else. They were "seeing other people, to test their love" and I was one of the other people, I guess. Needless to say, he left that bit off his romantic resume when we traded info prior to the first date. We went out for a few months before a friend from high school noted similarities between what I'd said about my boyfriend Brian and what her coworker Renee said about her boyfriend Brian (like his hometown, his job, his brother's name, and his major), and told me.     
    You don't want to look back at your life from this age and think "...and that is where my so-called 'trust issues' were born" - but maybe that is true. Wondering what you're not being told is a pit of misery, and can be a hard habit to break.
98. What's the most unpleasant sounding word?  there will likely be consequences if I don't answer in the following way: moist

[from here; the title quotation is by Joan Crawford]

No comments:

Post a Comment