8.30.2020

the only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance

from 100 Getting to Know You Questions
 
81. What do you do to keep fit?  
I walk rather a lot, and do some other things as time and energy allow
82. Does your family have a “motto” – spoken or unspoken?
Quomodo est tempestas: How's the weather?
83. If you were ruler of your own country what would be the first law you would introduce?  
anarchy
84. Who was your favorite teacher in school and why?
besides the ones about whom I've written a dozen times already... In elementary school, it was the first-year teacher whose use of the word "asinine" increased my vocabulary and crushed my little ego all in one blow. (Resilience is key!) In junior high, it was the art teacher from whom I earned good grades and praise, though at the end of 9th grade he suggested that high school art might be beyond my reach. (He was not wrong.) In high school, it was the psych teacher - the only one I ever had - who (officially) taught me everything I know about Psychology (I never missed a point in her class) and a lot about tolerance and being a decent human being.
    In college, it was the adjunct English prof who taught my Advanced Composition class. Upon grading my second assignment, he told me it was not necessary for me to do the work as assigned, because I was "far beyond" what he was teaching - but I needed to turn in something. He set me free to write whatever the Hell I wanted. I learned a great deal, and developed some swing.
    In grad school, it was the religious history prof who was also a member of my thesis committee. Quiet, unassuming, and brilliant, he absolutely believed that I had what it took to write a thesis (which was "not the done thing" at that school, most students choosing the exam option) and to go on to earn a Ph.D. if that was what I wanted. He was enormously supportive and encouraging.
    In law school, it was the Dean of Students who was also a Contracts prof, though not the one who taught my class. In fact, I never had a class from him. He's my favorite because he was instrumental in helping me out of a bad experience and onto a safer path.
85. What three things do you think of the most each day?
sleep, love, and money
86. If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
"All she keeps inside 
isn't on the label"
[Fuel, from "Shimmer" - on the album Sunburn]
87. What song would you say best sums you up?
at this moment, it is a tie between these two, both of which played last night as I was driving home: [links died]
88. What celebrity would you like to meet at Starbucks for a cup of coffee?
Oprah, in a particularly generous mood
89. Who was your first crush?
my first crush was a boy named Roger, who went to one of the parochial schools in town with my next-door neighbors. He had very dark hair and very red lips and I thought he was dramatically handsome (from a distance). When we finally met (at the school patrol picnic) I discovered that he was conceited and a jerk.
    Flash forward 27 years or so, we connected on FB. Realized we'd missed a lot in that first meeting and had a marvelous time getting to know each other as people. And then, a couple of years later, he died suddenly, of an undiagnosed congenital disease. I'm grateful for the opportunity to have known him.
90. What's the most interesting thing you can see out of your office or kitchen window?
this morning I watched (and listened to the histrionic shrieks of) a black squirrel in the tree, from my desk chair
91. On a scale of 1-10 how funny would you say you are?  
on a good day I'm a strong 8, maybe 9
92. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
celebrating my mortgage payoff with a island vacation and some gift-giving
93. What was your first job?  
as a young teen I mowed lawns in the neighborhood. That was before my allergies kicked in.
95. How many languages do you speak?
just the one, though I think there's been a new dialect created with my best friend. Half of what we say would make no sense to anyone who was listening (thank God).
97. Who is the most intelligent person you know?  
the crew with whom I worked at the test prep place included some heavy hitters - a couple of MD/PhDs and a couple of JD/MBAs. I went to law school with a medical doctor, a dentist, a couple of nurses, and three guys who were doing simultaneous MBAs. About a quarter of my FB friends have advanced degrees, and (as has been written here before in various ways) one of my very close high school friends has a net worth in the mid to upper seven figures. My life has been and is fully stocked with successful people of vast intelligence.
    There is none with whom I would rather have a conversation, or from whom I am more likely to learn, than the one who would be the most irritated to be named here. Thus, no name. Just the fact that when we talk, subjects run from the ridiculous to the most current events to sports to literature to pop culture to medicine to sex to troubling to music to the ridiculous.... And I am damned lucky to gain some knowledge and laughs and insight here and there.
98. If you had to describe yourself as an animal, which one would it be?  
fish
according to this quiz, I am an eagle. "...eagles do not adjust well to the confines of office work. When they find themselves in this kind of career they become unsettled and perform poorly, unless the work is creative and challenging. ... Eagles are quite comfortable with their own company, and prefer achieving a level of success in their personal lives before rushing into commitment. They relish the challenges that intimacy brings and are attracted mainly to independent personalities." YES
According to this quiz, the animal that best represents me is Fish. "You enjoy freedom and like to be amongst a crowd. You treasure friendships and have a great sense of humor. You don't have a great memory, but that means you give yourself a new start every day. You're a true optimist!" The description is almost nothing like me, but I love the animal and the picture.
Finally, according to this quiz, I am the risk-taking mongoose. "Like the mongoose, you need to evaluate all of the options involved with the chance you're taking before you make a decision. Risk-takers frequently review goals and determine the various routes to get to the destination. Often they choose the path with the highest risk in order to gain the maximum reward." Pretty close!
99. What is one thing you will never do again?
lend money that I can't afford to piss away, to someone I cannot trust
100. Who knows you the best?  
my hairstylist, right? Or my journal. 

[from here; the title quotation is by Alan Wilson Watts, from The Wisdom of Insecurity]

No comments:

Post a Comment