10.16.2020

unexpected intrusions of beauty. This is what life is

 from 160 First Date Questions

145. How well do you cope when you don't have your phone with you for an extended period of time?  it's not that big a deal. There are times when I leave it alone without realizing it, I almost never have the ringer on, and with one exception I don't answer phone calls—ever. I own it, not the other way around.

147. Would you rather have an incredibly fast car or incredibly fast internet speed? internet

148. What are the top three social situations you try to avoid most?  those featuring dancing, eating with chopsticks, or requiring a date

149. What friendship you've had has affected you the most? friendship doesn't work that way, thank God. There's not one big whopping blow-out 'affecting' one leaving all the others behind. It's like a mosaic (see an extraordinary one here), made up of big pieces and little pieces, not necessarily uniformly shaped, but fitted together in such a way that it absolutely works.

whiskey

150. What's something you're interested in that most people wouldn't expect?  I want to learn how to drink whiskey

152. If you had the power to change one law, what law would you change?  some speed limits ought to be a bit higher  

153. What's the hardest you've ever worked for something?  ever?? Like, physically? A couple of years ago we had excessively, obnoxiously heavy snow for months on end. I shoveled my sidewalk and driveway multiple times each week until I had piles that were well over my head. backing out of my garage and onto the street was a test of will; I would start the car in the garage, run out to the street to make sure that there were no cars coming either way and then hop back in and floor it in reverse to get out of the garage - in hopes that I could do so before someone would round one of the nearby corners. Once safely on the street, I would close the garage door and putt putt putt my way to work.

    Or, intellectually? Just after getting my bar exam results and being sworn in, I turned my brain around and set it to the task of finishing the research and writing of my masters thesis. I was working full-time, too. It seemed to take far longer than it should have, way longer than expected, but Wow was it a relief when I finally got all of the signatures and was cleared to graduate. 

    Or, emotionally? Ask me once November 14th has passed. 

154. What took you way too long to figure out?a LOT of hair with some body attached  that perms don't work in my fine hair

156. What do you do differently than most people?  pronounce the word "pecan"

157. Where's the last place you'd ever go?  skydiving

159. If you unexpectedly won $10,000, what would you spend it on?  I would pay a bill and then take 2 or 3 wonderful vacations with a friend

160. Who is the best role model a person could have?  role models can be dangerous. That's a lot of pressure to put on a single individual. Probably better, more realistic, safer, more considerate, to take your bits and bobs from a few different people.

[from here; the title quotation is by Saul Bellow, from Herzog]

No comments:

Post a Comment