1.20.2021

this is national TV, so don't pick your noses or scratch your nuts

Romantic conspiracy, wartime thievery, lunacy, big sea apocalypse, and sports-as-metaphor. Five for the Must Watch list!

Absence of Malice
Absence of Malice (1981) - "When a prosecutor leaks a false story that a liquor warehouse owner is involved with the murder of a union head, the man's life begins to unravel."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: it's a classic
IMDB: 6.9/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 81% Audience: 63%
notable quote: "As a matter of law, the truth of your story is irrelevant. We have no knowledge the story is false, therefore we're absent malice. We've been both reasonable and prudent, therefore we're not negligent. We may say whatever we like... and he is powerless to do us harm. Democracy is served."
story: very well done. Absolutely not what I thought it would be, so clever and unexpected.
costumes, hair & makeup: perfect for the time period
acting: Paul Newman was brilliant in the role of Michael Gallagher. Embattled, contrary, complex, he nonetheless was engaging, appealing, funny, and totally sympathetic. This is some of his best work.
intangibles: I liked this film quite a lot.
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Actor—Newman
• Best Supporting Actress—Melinda Dillon (Teresa Perrone)
• Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
overall: recommended

Kelly's Heroes
Kelly's Heroes
 (1970) - "A group of U.S. soldiers sneaks across enemy lines to get their hands on a secret stash of Nazi treasure."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: it is, apparently, another WWII classic
IMDB: 7.6/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 78% Audience: 88%
notable quote: "A Sherman can give you a very nice ... edge."
story: sort of a satire (?) or maybe a comedic twist, a la M*A*S*H, on The Dirty Dozen. Sort of.
visuals: typical 1970s war movie
costumes, hair & makeup: ditto to the above
acting: I really could not get a bead on this one. Comedy? adventure? revenge? Don Rickles (Crapgame) was one of the straight men, which makes it very odd. I enjoyed Donald Sutherland as Oddball.
intangibles: kinda doofy and not at all what I was expecting
overall: recommended - because I feel like I have to

The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
 (1997) - "In the colorful future, a cab driver unwittingly becomes the central figure in the search for a legendary cosmic weapon to keep Evil and Mr. Zorg at bay."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: the cast is intriguing
IMDB: 7.7/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 70% Audience: 86%
notable quote: "You know how it is. We bumped into each other, sparks happen... Anyway, we're in love."
story: wacko
visuals: extraordinary
costumes, hair & makeup: wonderful
acting: Bruce Willis (Korben Dallas) plays it pretty straight, which is the right move for this role in this wackadoo film. Milla Jovovich (Leeloo) is spunky and hilarious, a perfectly sympathetic loon. Gary Oldman's Zorg is understated and funny, with a silly accent that reminds me of the animal-brained lawyer. 
intangibles: it was written and directed by Luc Besson, who was responsible for my favorite film of all time, Léon (The Professional), and also The Big Blue (Le Grand Bleu) which I loved.
Academy Award nominee: Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing
overall: recommended

On the Beach
On the Beach
 (1959) - "After a global nuclear war, the residents of Australia must come to terms with the fact that all life will be destroyed in a matter of months."
Source: I borrowed the DVD from my parents' collection
I watched it because: Gregory Peck and Ava Gardner drew me in
notable quote: "It's been everything."
IMDB: 7.1/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 77% Audience: 69%
story: it's a 1950s The Day After, on a global scale
visuals: successfully creepy
acting: Peck (Commander Dwight Lionel Towers) and Gardner (Moira Davidson) are a marvelous, disparate couple. He is thoughtful, tormented, and wholesome. She is multidimensional and dark.  
intangibles: disturbing but compelling
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Film Editing
• Best Music, Drama or Comedy Score
overall: recommended

North Dallas Forty
North Dallas Forty
 (1979) - "A satire of American professional football in which a veteran pass-catcher's individuality and refusal to become part of the team family is bitterly resented by his disciplinarian coaches."
Source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: it was strongly recommended that this would fill a gap in my cinematic education
IMDB: 7.0/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 84% Audience: 70%
notable quote: "'What kind of an answer is that?'
    'It's the only answer I know how to give when somebody I really like needs to know the truth.'"
visuals: more realistic than a lot of sports movies, and the off-field scenes are nicely done
acting: Nick Nolte (Phillip Elliott) is so good! He embodies the aging, active, quietly thoughtful male so well here. Mac Davis (Seth Maxwell) was surprisingly entertaining as well. Great comic timing.
intangibles: loved it! Will watch again. 
overall: enthusiastically recommended

[the title quotation is from North Dallas Forty]

No comments:

Post a Comment