8.07.2021

past the idiot men

I ask my husband, ever the literalist, 
if he missed me before he knew me, 
 
and he says, "It's not possible," 
so I say, "You know, in a poetic kind of way." 
 
"Still not possible," he maintains. 
"Like, the love was always there, but waiting." 
 
"Waiting?" he asks. 
"In a prequel kind of way," I say. 
 
"You mean like 
Star Wars Phantom Menace?" 
 
I think of invasions and trade routes, 
barren landscape of impossible dunes 
 
and treaties, what it took to get here, 
galactic unrest, yes, but deeper, 
 
like a scorched tongue 
in the driest desert mouth 
 
of pre-history abstracted beyond speech, 
and you were my mirage 
 
I want to tell him, over every next hill, 
past the idiot men 
 
who marched like droid armies 
then dissolved into grains of sand, 
 
ten thousand faceless others 
in the epic space opera 
 
that would precede us. 
But you were hardened starlight, 
 
desert bloom, something sustainable 
and airlifted to safety 
 
or buried like the roots of a knotted tree— 
marker, memento, 
 
trail I left for my future self 
to find you. 
 
[Teresa Leo, 'Force', from Bloom in Reverse]

No comments:

Post a Comment