1.18.2023

forget it. Pick up your chin. We'll spud in over there someday. Somehow

A varied bunch, this time around. It can be hard to know, with old movies, where they will land.

Dancing Lady (1933)
Dancing Lady
(1933) - "Janie lives to dance and will dance anywhere, even stripping in a burlesque house. Rich playboy Tod Newton discovers her there and helps her get a job in a real Broadway musical being directed by Patch. Tod thinks he can get what he wants from Janie, Patch thinks Janie is using her charms rather than talent to get to the top, and Janie thinks Patch is the greatest. Steve, the stage manager, has the Three Stooges helping him manage all the show girls. Fred Astaire and Nelson Eddy make appearances as famous Broadway personalities. "
source: I borrowed the DVD from the public library
I watched it because: I'm into Clark Gable
IMDB: 6.8/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 80% Audience: 70%
my IMDB: 5/10
notable quote: "Sorry to tell ya, but I'm the kind of investment that doesn't pay."
MPAA rating: Passed (TV-G)
directed by: Robert Z. Leonard
my notes: I didn't love this one. Gable's Patch is a scattered lech. Joan Crawford is a very good dancer, and surprisingly perky, but ultimately inconsequential. 
overall: only marginally recommended

San Francisco (1936)
San Francisco
(1936) - "A Barbary Coast saloonkeeper and a Nob Hill impresario are rivals for the affections of a beautiful singer (Jeanette MacDonald), both personally and professionally, in 1906 San Francisco. Mary is torn between two loves - her love for Blackie (Gable) and her love for opera. Burley (Jack Holt) wants her contract from Blackie so he can star her at the Tivoli Opera, but in all things, she suppresses her own desires so that she can stay with Blackie."
source: I borrowed the DVD from the public library
I watched it because: I want to see everything Clark Gable's done
IMDB: 7.2/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 92% Audience: 71%
my IMDB: 5/10
notable quote: "'Well sister, what's your racket?'
    'I'm a singer!'
    'Let's see your legs!'
    'I said, I'm a singer!"
MPAA rating: Passed
directed by: W.C. Van Dyke
my notes: way, way, way too operatic for my taste. MacDonald has one of those voices that could pierce through steel.
Academy Award winner: Best Sound, Recording
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Picture
• Best Actor—Spencer Tracy
• Best Director
• Best Writing, Original Story
• Best Assistant Director
overall: only marginally recommended

Christmas on Holly Lane (2018)
Christmas on Holly Lane
(2018) - "Sarah, Riley, and Cat—three childhood friends with fond memories of Christmas at Sarah's house—come together as adults to save Sarah's home so they can have many more beautiful Christmases together."
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I'm on a quest to see modern Christmas movies
IMDB: 6.4/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: not enough scores for a rating
my IMDB: 5/10
MPAA rating: PG
directed by: Michael M. Scott
my notes: this is not a good movie. The 2 of the 3 leads are strident and unlikable, and the third is far too pathetic and weepy. Their friendship is unrealistic, as is the interest of any man who's pointed at them. It's a nice enough story, but not with this cast.
overall: not  recommended

Boom Town (1940)
Boom Town
(1940) - "Buddies Big John McMasters and Square John Sand are fast-talking, wisecracking wildcatters who manage to con enough equipment and capital to develop their own oil fields, but their friendship is put to the test when Big John inadvertently falls in love with Elizabeth, Square John's longtime girlfriend. Eventually their friendship and partnership comes to an end on the flip of a coin. Years later, when Big John's interest in the beautiful Karen Vanmeer threatens his marriage too, Square John intervenes in an effort to save the marriage of his former friend - even if it means ruining him financially. "
source: 
I watched it because: I'm all Clark, all the time
IMDB: 7.1/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 66%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote: "'You go see the boys, and you all sit around and lie a little bit to each other and have a good time, see? Only, just remember, you've got another wildcat waiting for you at home.'
    'Oh, will I!'"
MPAA rating: Passed (TV-PG)
directed by: Jack Conway
my notes: Spencer Tracy is marvelous as Square John. I like Claudette Colbert, but not in this role. She seems a nice, sweet lady, and this is a role for someone with more sass and spice. 
    Hedy Lamarr is undeniably beautiful, and as mean as only a sophisticated lady can be.
Academy Award nominee:
• Best Cinematography, Black and White
• Best Effects, Special Effects
overall:  recommended

[the title quotation is from Boom Town]

No comments:

Post a Comment