1.26.2023

whenever I get lost in the Alps, I'll whistle for you

I've settled into a sort of routine where I watch one "real" movie followed by something that catches my eye on Prime, and back again. It's resulted in some excellent entertainment - whether by the quality of the films themselves or by the juxtaposition of good to bad. Enjoy!

Angel Falls Christmas (2021)
Angel Falls Christmas
(2021) - "The surgeon Ally have just received a promotion but still wants to take extra shifts over Christmas. Her boyfriend, Josh, finally gives up and instead of proposing to her he breaks up instead. He wishes that Ally could understand that life is more than just work and Ally wish that he could understand why work is so important. The wishes are heard by two angels. Desperate after the break up Ally halfheartedly sets out to celebrate Christmas. Something that she's not done for a long time. She is assisted by the angel Gabriel who accompany her in her celebrations to help her on the right track. Can Ally win Josh back? And can Gabriel help her without falling for her himself?"
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: 'tis the season
IMDB: 5.0/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 0% (yes, that is a zero)
my IMDB: 2/10
MPAA rating: N/A
directed by: Jerry Ciccoritti
my notes: terrible. It's actually a clever enough story idea, but brought low by the dreadful actors. The female lead has artificially-enhanced lips that don't seem to move with the rest of her face, and she has all the stage grace of a wooden toy.
overall: not  recommended

China Seas (1935)
China Seas
(1935) - "Dynamic Alan Gaskell captains a ship bound from Hong Kong to Singapore. Gaskell tries to turn over a new leaf from his hard-drinking lifestyle after becoming re-attached to a refined high class English lady, Sybil Barclay. His former girlfriend Dolly is extremely jealous of the budding relationship and tries hard to get the Captain back. He is apparently unimpressed with her loud, obnoxious, and uncivilized manners, even though she is extremely beautiful. After a temporary takeover of the ship by gold-seeking Asian pirates, Captain Gaskell must deal with the fact that Dolly and her drinking pal, Jamesey MacArdle, are implicated in the crime."
source: I borrowed the DVD from the public library
I watched it because: the Clark Gable/Jean Harlow pairing is good stuff
IMDB: 6.9/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 80% Audience: 74%
my IMDB: 8/10
notable quote: "You taught me something I didn't even know myself. When a woman can love a man right down to her fingernails, she can hate him the same way."
MPAA rating: Passed (TV-G! surprising...)
directed by: Tay Garnett
my notes: wild, violent, and very funny. Jean Harlow is a gem,
overall: highly recommended

Christmas on the Bayou (2013)
Christmas on the Bayou
(2013) - "A divorced, workaholic executive goes back to her home town to spend Christmas with her son and mother. Through a rekindled romance and a small miracle, she discovers where her heart truly belongs. "
source: streamed on Amazon Prime
I watched it because: I'm on a quest to find either the best or the worst of this genre
IMDB: 6.2/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: N/A% Audience: 29%
my IMDB: 7/10
notable quote: "Cute kid. Got your nose ... and your scowl."
MPAA rating: TV-PG
directed by: Leslie Hope
my notes: a good one! I got into the story. The cast ranged from not-annoying to terrific (the hero is awesome, and the child actor's quite good, too). The setting is lovely and different. I liked this! Would watch again.
overall: recommended

Manhattan Melodrama (1934)
Manhattan Melodrama
(1934) - "Orphans Edward 'Blackie' Gallagher and Jim Wade are lifelong friends who take different paths in life. Blackie thrives on gambling and grows up to be a hard-nosed racketeer. Bookworm Wade becomes a D.A., vying for the Governorship. When Blackie's girlfriend Eleanor leaves him and marries the more down-to-earth Wade, Blackie harbors no resentment. In fact, their friendship is so strong that Blackie murders an attorney threatening to derail Wade's bid to become Governor. The morally straight Wade's last job as D.A. is to convict his friend of the murder, and send him to the electric chair. After he becomes Governor, Wade has the authority to commute Blackie's death sentence—a decision that pits his high morals against a lifelong friendship. "
source: I borrowed the DVD from the public library
I watched it because: I like William Powell and Myrna Loy anyway, and this is only that much better with Clark Gable, too
IMDB: 7.1/10  -  Rotten Tomatoes: Tomatometer: 81% Audience: 71%
my IMDB: 8/10
notable quote: "'You know, I think those yes-men would go to bed with me if they had a chance.'
    'Don't worry, Darling, they won't have a chance.'"
MPAA rating: Passed
directed by: W.S. Van Dyke; Jack Conway; George Cukor
my notes: charming, earnest, and VERY fast. The speech speed in this film must be 1.5 times the norm. Still, it's engaging and endearing. Loy is excellent.
Academy Award winner: Best Writing, Original Story—Arthur Caesar
overall:  highly recommended

[the title quotation is from China Seas]

No comments:

Post a Comment