4.11.2023

I want to see you every day we're in this life

 
This morning I'm more lonely than the sky, 
that flattened tray of tin and rain 
 
before the robin's quick array of ruddy breasts 
displayed the air a way that's new 
 
as when in their noisy gang 
they flew against the blue 
 
like stitches in a quilt 
that's being aired out with a shake. 
 
I take some solace watching starlings 
with their yellow bills root among the leaves. 
 
They're plump with some success, those clerks. 
Field notes, perhaps, or a survey of the seeds. 
 
II 
 
Your day still sits under the horizon 
while mine unfolds in steps I take 
to make myself familiar here: 
breakfast in the kitchen, carry tea upstairs, 
watch a squirrel hop across the lawn, 
keep a careful list of birds I've seen. 
Tai chi, before or after. 
 
I know we're on the same planet, 
the same sun coming in the east window. 
I know how and why time zones float 
like gauzy curtains across the globe. 
But here's the fact that sends me to the page. 
 
I want to see you every day we're in this life, 
mark change with you as we change, as we age, 
for it's true, as you say, it took a long time 
for us to find each other and much pain. 
I think only of telling you 
about these birds, these swales of rain 
and flowering trees so different from our own. 
 
This would be another world 
with you in it. 
 
No—you are the world. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment