4.06.2023

I will confess everything to someone

Lustra. Officially the cold comes from Manitoba; 
yesterday at sixty knots. So that the waves mounted 
the breakwater. The first snow. The farmers and carpenters 
in the tavern with red, windburned faces. I am in there 
playing the pinball machine watching all those delicious 
lights flutter, the bells ring. I am halfway through 
a bottle of vodka and am happy to hear Manitoba 
howling outside. Home for dinner I ask my baby daughter 
if she loves me but she is too young to talk. She cares 
most about eating as I care most about drinking. Our wants 
are simple as they say. Still when I wake from my nap 
the universe is dissolved in grief again. The baby is sleeping 
and I have no one to talk my language. My breath is shallow 
and my temples pound. Vodka. Last October in Moscow I taught 
a group of East Germans to sing "Fuck Nixon," and we were 
quite happy until the bar closed. At the newsstand I saw a 
picture of Bella Akhmadulina and wept. Vodka. You would have 
liked her verses. The doorman drew near, alarmed. Outside 
the KGB floated through the snow like arctic bats. 
Maybe I belong there. They won't let me print my verses. On the 
night train to Leningrad I will confess everything to someone. 
All my books are remaindered and out of print. My face in 
the mirror asks me who I am and says I don't know. But stop 
this whining. I am alive and a hundred thousand acres of birches 
around my house wave in the wind. They are women standing 
on their heads. Their leaves on the ground today are small 
saucers of snow from which I drink with endless thirst. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment