4.25.2023

like the scarlet tanager who lights in the apple tree but will not stay

I lie by the pond in utter nakedness 
thinking of you, Will, your epiphanies 
of woodcock, raven, rills, and craggy steeps, 
the solace that seductive nature bore, 
and how in my late teens I came to you 
with other Radcliffe pagans suckled in 
a creed outworn, declaiming whole swatches 
of "Intimations" to each other. 
 
Moist-eyed with reverence, lying about 
the common room, rising to recite 
Great God! I'd rather be . . . How else 
redeem the first flush of experience? 
How else create it again and again? Not in 
entire forgetfulness I raise up my boyfriend, 
a Harvard man who could outquote me 
in his Groton elocutionary style. 
 
Groping to unhook my bra he swore 
poetry could change the world for the better. 
The War was on. Was I to let him die 
unfulfilled? Soon afterward we parted. 
Years later, he a decorated vet, 
I a part-time professor, signed the same 
guest book in the Lake District. Stunned 
by coincidence we gingerly shared a room. 
 
Ah, Will, high summer now; how many more 
of these? Fair seed-time had my soul, 
you sang; what seed-times still to come? 
How I mistrust them, cheaters that will flame, 
gutter and go out, like the scarlet tanager 
who lights in the apple tree but will not stay. 
 
Here at the pond, your meadow, grove, and stream 
lodged in my head as tight as lily buds, 
sun slants through translucent minnows, dragonflies 
in paintbox colors couple in midair. 
The fickle tanager flies over the tasseled field. 
I lay my "Prelude" down under the willow. 
My old gnarled body prepares to swim 
to the other side. 
                            Come with me, Will. 
Let us cross over sleek as otters, 
each of us bobbing in the old-fashioned breaststroke, 
each of us centered in our beloved Vales. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment