4.15.2024

nescit cedere

Things to Do ...
2. What do you want to do before you retire, or before you die? 
    no bucket list, no specific places or things to do. More of a philosophy of always learning, exploring when possible, and forever being curious.
 
9. Do you have a saying or motto that you try to live by? 
    no, those that change by the day
 
16. What burning questions would people love to know the answers to?   
burning questions
I'm pretty sure that I've reached full saturation on people I know asking me for (free) legal advice - as in, on average, every. single. person. I. know. has asked me at least one legal question (with the great majority being the kind of question that any other lawyer would charge for). Most are practical and timely
("I have a current problem..." or "I've saw on the news about...") and allow for off-the-cuff responses, but some are surprisingly esoteric and require actual research to answer.   
    The next most frequent question I'm asked is, "Why haven't you seen..." - in regards to their favorite film/genre. As if watching a lot of movies makes me beholden to other peoples' taste. 
    But, the really burning question? "Why aren't you more (or less) ...?" - about the formation, content, and effect of my personality.
 
extreme passwording
23. What gear do you use for your business? Can you recommend some great software or apps? What products do you absolutely love? 
    my work is entirely computer-based. We use Microsoft Remote Desktop, so there's a login, then a third party authentication, then another login. At that point, I start opening the actual software that we use every day, including [the work app] (separate login), email and chat (separate programs but they share a login), a browser, and a word processor. At some point on most days I also use the snipping tool, and fairly often something for spreadsheets or presentations. Occasionally a media player. 
     What I really love is the pot of hot tea next to me, the sun coming in the window, and scratch paper for notes (not work-related).
 
5. Tell about something you dislike about something that you like?
    the stereotyped refusal to acknowledge thanks (the Derek Morgan type) from Criminal Minds. That show didn't have the exclusive right to that problem, but it was pervasive there. Imagine the victim of a terrible crime, having been saved from their fate by the skill and tenacity of the BAU team, expressing their gratitude, and hearing any of the following: "no thanks needed", "that's not necessary", "don't thank me", or worst of all, "your gratitude is not appropriate." What the fuck?! What makes thanks inappropriate or unwelcome? People say thank you because they feel a debt and can only use words to repay it. To refuse that attempt is ungenerous, mean, and obnoxious.

via GIPHY

30. What is the toughest part of your job or work? Is it worth it? 
dealing with difficult people
   
the toughest part of my job is dealing with people, just like every other job I've ever had. In the current scenario, it's conforming to the expectations of a project manager who is extremely smart, offset by being a sketchy communicator - in other words, trying to read her mind when she doesn't actually say what she means (or, sometimes, mean what she says). She has a Ph.D. and is a certified, belted LEAN and SIGMA and all sorts of other acronyms that, in my experience, result in being part asshole, part oblivious.

 
37. What are the events in your life that have shaped you the most? 
    birth, school, work, marriage, divorce, moving, grief, travel....
 
44. If you could host dinner for any five people – dead, alive, or fictional – who would you choose, and why? 
Gian Galeazzo Ciano, 2nd Count of Cortellazzo and Buccari
Count Ciano
    this is on my list of least favorite blog questions, or questions in general. However, in the spirit of the exercise, and because I want to post this tomorrow, I'll throw out some names: Jet Li, David James Duncan, Gian Galeazzo Ciano, 2nd Count of Cortellazzo and Buccari, Jonathan Bovaro, and Robin Williams. 
 
51. What’s one thing that you wish you could change about your life, and why? 
    I wish I had treated money with the serious attention that it deserved when I was a younger adult. Much of what I do now is, in part, making up for what I failed to do then.  
 
10. While blogging, do you skip questions in any particular area or topic? 
    Definitely! I generally don't write in any personal way about religion, sex, or politics. It's harder for me to write, it's way more vulnerable to post (since my readership is made up of some people I actually know), and a lot of it is no one's business anyway.
 
[from What to blog about: 101 Irresistible blog ideas with a couple of additions; the title quotation is Latin for "She does not know how to give up."]

No comments:

Post a Comment