7.03.2024

the truth of the story lies in the details

1 If your friends and acquaintances were willing to honestly tell you what they thought of you, would you want them to? What do you think they might say?
 
     some friends, maybe. Definitely not all of them, and not the acquaintances either. What would they say? That would depend how I know them, and for how long. 
    There are a couple of people from whom I'd be curious to hear about this, though only if it's positive. Funny, isn't it? I want the compliments, but not the criticism - from my friends, anyway. I don't want to ask questions whose answers I can't stand hearing because the fear is greater than the curiosity. 
    Maybe that's what being an adult really is.
2 While walking, you come upon a lost wallet containing $1,000. Would you return it if there were a name and address inside? Would you act differently if the person's photo ID showed a wealthy-looking young man or a frail-looking old woman?
      yes, I would return it, though the method of doing so might change depending on the owner. For instance, if it's a young person (and by "young" I mean anyone born after me!) I might turn it in at the police station rather than by trying to contact them directly. Someone older than me might get a direct call. Either way, I would return it all - because I can imagine my own incredulity and gratitude if I lost something and it was returned to me, unscathed.
3 If you could put a near-perfect lie detector on your phone to flag any dishonesties, would you? If so, would you use it a lot or just for very specific conversations?
      sure, I would pay that subscription fee. Assuming it wouldn't squawk when I'm the one lying ("that sounds awesome! Lunch, it is!"). I probably wouldn't use it all the time, but would bring it out for some conversations where I have a lot riding on the veracity.
4 If you came upon the scene of a terrible highway accident just after the ambulances arrived, and your presence would neither help nor hinder anyone, would you stop to watch?
      God, no. I would find that both unbearably sad and truly, vehemently revolting. I don't even want to think about it, much less to experience it.
5 Would you accept $20,000 to shave your head and continue your normal activities without a hat or wig until your hair grew back? What is the minimum price you'd take for this?
      yup, $20,000 would do nicely. When do I start?
6 Do you think that high-tech goggles that let you "see through" people's clothing should be banned? How much would you pay for glasses that rendered people naked?
      I'm pretty sure that's not "high tech," but "science fiction." Yes, in the imaginary world where such a thing exists, I think they should be banned. The "need" for such a thing is strongly outweighed by the victims' right to privacy.
7 If you could work half as much as you do now and keep the same pay, or work just as hard as you do now and get twice the pay, which would you choose?
      I would alternate, I think. When I'm low on cash, work the same as I do now for twice as much pay. In between, though, I'd happily cut it in half. Maybe a ratio of 3 short weeks/1 long week.
8 Would you want to record everything you hear or see 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year in, year out? If you could easily find and replay any previous conversation or interaction, how would it affect your relationships?
recording device
     I am known to be the type of person who recalls details. Honestly, it's far more of a curse than a benefit, since the attitude about it is that I'm doing it intentionally and with the aim to hurt, rather than that it's just the way my mind was built. 
    In a way, that makes me wish I could record everything—so it's not just my word being law as far as something happening or not, before. There's a advertising campaign lately, about people being able to throw a challenge flag in a dispute about something like this. The reason that's funny is that it would be both satisfying and horrid, which would not end well in most relationships. No thank you.
9 What experiences from your own childhood have proved most valuable? What were the most difficult to overcome?
    Valuable: 
        • "high potential" summer school, 3 years. I learned about computers, math (!), TV production, art. I also made some friends who thought and acted somewhat like I did, with whom I still have things in common and a friendly connection.
        • ample opportunities and encouragement to read
        • growing up in the country
    Difficult:  
        • inconsistent affection, toward me and between others in my family
10 If you had a choice between two virtually equivalent medicines, one a chemical carefully synthesized in the laboratory, and the other an extract carefully harvested from a medicinal plant, which would you prefer and why?
      my first inclination is to prefer the former, since "carefully harvested" is not quite as trustworthy as "synthesized in a laboratory"—to me.
 
 [from The Book of Questions; the title quotation is by Paul Auster, from The Brooklyn Follies]

No comments:

Post a Comment