1.25.2005

's More than a bit Ironical

Just 'cause I feel like sharing (and 'cause I know that at least one person will be interested), my toes are Glacier Bay Blue:








That's not the ironical part. Neither is this, which is the strikingly funny version of a snow angel that one of my neighbors made. The photo is crappyish because it was taken through my bedroom window. All of my windows have those built-in blinds, so a clear shot through the glass was impossible. But I wanted to show the whole thing and this was the only vantage point from which to get it--rather than just flopping into the snow and swinging his arms and legs, he (be-eng from ze izalandz az he ez) stomped out the outline of an angel, whooping and yelling, "LIKE ZEES? ZEES WAAY?" to his wife. It was touching and hilarious, and the results weren't all that bad. See?









This part's not ironical either--it's just weird, and a vague greeting to a good friend. Call it Art. Capital-A Art.









Now we're approaching the bizarre. This is my new bedroom furniture, acquired during my parents' recent visit. It's a nightstand/dresser/thing. The stuff on top's not staying there--it's there because it's off of the kitchen counter, which I needed in order to be able to cook anything more complex than, say, cereal.









Ah: here's the ironical bit. The furniture assholes from whom I purchased my dining room cafe table and stools nearly a month ago finally called yesterday to arrange delivery. I spent the entirety of the evening yesterday cleaning and rearranging the kitchen, living room and office so that I would have room for the delivery. I was amazed that they actually delivered the things, given how much time and energy I devoted to the project. Before I get any further, here's how it looked this morning before I left for work:





[Note my phone, resting in peace at the left of the frame. My cell month ended yesterday, and my total usage was 1546. That's 25.76 hours over 31 days. I spent more than an entire DAY on the phone last month!]

Now see how it looked by 10:30, after 2 very smelly, stereotypical guys delivered and assembled a heavy table and 8 stools in my second-floor apartment:





Reminds me of a bunch of deer standing in a clearing, confused and somewhat intimidated.

Don't get me wrong; I love it, still, as much as I did when I bought it. The stools are amazingly comfortable, and the lazy susan is hilarious--it literally made me laugh to see the fat ol' dudes lay it on the freshly-assembled table in a presentational flourish as if they couldn't believe how cool it was, either. But here, my friends, is the ironical part.

Now that I have to pay for the table and chairs, I can't afford to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment