11.25.2004

Wet, Cold & Happy

    Happy Thanksgiving.
    It's snowing. I'm not a big fan of the white stuff, but the change of seasons is important to me. I wouldn't be able to stand living someplace where it all looks the same for even half the year. Today was our first snow, and we probably got 3 inches. It was quite cold, so it was white for most of the day. The car needed brushing and/or scraping three times, solid, and one or two more just to be on the safe side.
    One of the solid times was when I needed to dash from work to the apartment to meet the delivery guys who were bringing my new bed. It's just a mattress & foundation on a frame because of the space in which I'm keeping it--there isn't really room for a standard bed. This way, I could spend [within reason] a lot more on the mattress itself and know that I'll probably be a lot more comfortable.
    So I met the guys at the apartment, and they brought down the frame. And the mattress. And the box spring. Only, the box spring only came about 1/3 of the way down the stairs before it got stuck. The entrance was tall enough, but the angle into the room was too sharp. It was small by only a few inches.
    I have a mattress and a frame. And I went back to the store tonight to arrange for delivery of a split box--a queen-sized box spring that arrives in 2 pieces. Very funky, and damned smart. (And why not, for $100 more?) It'll arrive sometime on Saturday.
    Not really so inconvenient, except for the added cost.
    Besides that, I worked all day (a horrendously busy day at work, for some reason. I ran the entire day, and still have a mountain of work to do. I could easily work for the next 2 days with no one at the office to bug me and the following 2 days with a short staff and still be behind when everyone arrives on Monday!) and then went electronics shopping--bought a TV (Sony) and a DVD/VHS combo--and then to Target for those miscellaneous essentials (knives, a kitchen garbage can, a couple of mid-range saute pans, bedding, extra pillow, CO detector, etc.) that somehow end up in the $200+ range. Then back to the crash pad to talk with my friend for several hours before ostensibly heading to bed.
    My feet are a little tender (breaking in the boots today wasn't my smoothest maneuver yet). My jeans are mud-splattered and could still be wet from getting drenched and re-drenched so many times. My hair...is unforgivable. I will probably sleep like the dead.
    I'm not going to see my family for Thanksgiving. It's the first holiday of any size or meaning that I haven't spent with "family" in my entire life. My parents are once again "speaking to me," but it's not the same as it used to be. We might bring it back to something like normal. Maybe even by Christmastime. But I'm not exactly living for it. Although I'm a little skitterish, tomorrow's sure to be fun--something I've never done before. I can't wait.
    I'm happy. Who'd've thought it? Me: happy.
    I hope y'all are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment