5.11.2005

Film

Last ten movies that I saw:

The Incredibles - A bit over-long, but solidly entertaining--an 8.

The Full Monty - Incomprehensible accents give way to hilarity and sweetness--7.

The Producers - It was funnier, and more fresh, the first couple of times that I saw it--6.

McLintock! - I laughed, a lot--8.

Strictly Ballroom - Adorable, meaningful, and really funny--8.5.

Training Day - Scary, trippy, and somehow resonant--7.

Trust - One of my all-time favorites: weird, fun, and goofy. "Respect+Trust=Love."--10.

Goodfellas - Whew. Violent; incredibly well-acted; cutting edge, even now--7.

The Village - er, has anyone not figured out M. Night Shyamalan's 'gig' yet?--a definite 4, but for the porch scene, so it's a 5.

[What's the porch scene? It's at the bottom of this post. Do not read it if you have any intention of watching the film.]

Top Secret - OMG, one of the funniest things that exist in the world. The cow scene...--9.

The Porch Scene

Ivy [Bryce Dallas Howard]:
Why can you not speak what is in your head?
Lucius [Joaquin Phoenix]:
Why can you not stop speaking what is in yours? Why must you lead, when I want to lead? Everyone is forever plaguing me to speak further. If I want to speak, I will open my mouth. If I want to dance, I will ask you to dance. What good is there in saying that you are my only thought from the time I wake? What good is it to say that I sometimes cannot think, nor do my work properly? What good is it to say that the only time I feel fear as others do ... is when I think of you in harm? I fear for your safety before all others. That is why I am on this porch, Ivy Walker.

And yes, I will dance with you on our wedding night.

No comments:

Post a Comment