8.20.2005

respectfully requested

'The Boy' has requested a new nickname. There are those of you who know his real name, and if you do, you know why it doesn't appear here. I've some other ideas for what he could be called, but I'm thinking it might be fun to solicit suggestions from y'all. If you've anything for me, send an email or make a comment. Thanks!



I love The Rock (as an actor, not as a "wrestler". I love this movie. The Rundown is, in fact, one of my favorites. I saw it the night of its premiere at the theater, and I bought it 'cause I knew I'd want to watch it many times. Some personal stuff got in the way, but today was my pick for movies with 'the boyfriend formerly known as The Boy' (the "BoFoKnoATBo", for now). It was a significant shakeup to the lineup, as Shakespeare in Love has been on the top of the heap for a while. All in good time, Will.

So. The Rundown. It's an action film. Amazing stunts, great effects, and a surprisingly engaging story. The Rock plays Beck, a "retrieval expert". In order to free himself from a preexisting gig, he agrees to travel to South America to retrieve the wayward son of his boss. The son is played by Seann William Scott--who was born in Cottage Grove, Minnesota, which is the current home of my first...er...and also The Blonde One That Got Away. Small world, eh? Scott is typical Scott (he played E.L. in the first movie that I saw with BoFoKnoATBo, Road Trip [see also Road Trip]--which is hilarious and contains this memorable line: "Is there anything else I can help you with? Perhaps you'd like an 11-year old prostitute sent to your room. We can do that. Or maybe we can off someone for you. Hunh? How's that sound? I've got it. Why don't we start small? Would you like a fresh towel? Maybe you could roll that up and smoke it.") Happily, 'typical Scott' is goofy and funny. I particularly liked Rosario Dawson in the role of Mariana, the barkeep with an attitude. (A significant nod must go to the rebel warrior Manito, played by Ernie Reyes, Jr.) In a surprising, unguarded moment (while we ate hotdogs from Roger's Meats in Winona, delivered by Mom & Dad, whom I love very much and for more than just the hotdogs), BoFoKnoATBo commented that he doesn't find Dawson to be particularly attractive. Sweetie....

I know, I'm not "supposed" to think that The Rock is a good actor, or to enjoy his movies, or to enjoy this much violence. However, I thought that the bone-crunching was great, the "konlobos" scene was awesome ("I hate this place. I hate penis eating minnows.... I want to go home, I want concrete, I want home made tortellini. I want my Los Angeles Lakers. I want to go home, I want to go home, I want to go home. Get out of here, Monkeys."), and the beginning sequence was just one of the coolest things ever.

Am I gushing? I love this movie. If you haven't seen it: see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment