7.28.2006

no wisdom but in submission to the gods

Unlike my neighbor boy, who is tanned to a perfect golden brown like a supermarket chicken, I am (as of yesterday afternoon) fried to a bright red crisp. I have the sunburn that Noxzema won't cure. I have a bright red nose, a bright red chin, and the bright red chest, shoulders and back of someone who's never heard of sunscreen. It's even worse than that, though: I had it with me (at the lake) but didn't even bother to apply it. It wasn't sunny, see, and at times wasn't even all that warm. It was just a lazy, hazy day spent playing in the water and lying on a blanket watching a big white bird (a tern, I think?) and a turtle amble about, and some sandpipers (thanks, Popeye), um, piping.

And apparently burning the crap out of myself.

I was utterly exhausted when I went to bed (at 10:15!) but couldn't sleep. Finally got up at 11-something, coiled my hair on the top of my head in two antler-like protrusions, and slathered myself in as much Noxzema as I could work in. That, with the fans, finally helped me drop off and kept me sleeping for a few hours. I moved to the couch around 3:30 and slept flat on my face for an hour and a half, which definitely made my back feel better.

Let this be a lesson to y'all!

[Incidentally, I did discover that Bath & Body Works' "Be More Pacific" is a lovely body wash. In the bottle it smells very much like coconut, but in water it is more generically tropical, almost multi-fruity, like tropical Life Savers or something. But it doesn't leave a weird, over-sweet cast on the skin, which is a very good thing.]

No comments:

Post a Comment