7.25.2006

slice 'o my actual day

A day off. !!! A day off! In the middle of the week! Not for any particular purpose, not for anyone else's reasons, not to do anything. Just a day off. And it was lovely. I went to bed around midnight, no, a little before 1:00, I think, and slept until 8:20, when the SWC noises got to be too much. (The pallet-lifter had been sifting into my subconscious for more than half an hour by that point and was starting to infiltrate my dreams.) Did I get up then? Nah, I just grabbed one of the four (have I ever mentioned that I have four?) pillows from my bed and moved to the couch, where I slept until 10:30. Ahhh: blissful, pointless vacation.

So, "awake" at 10:30. I ate some breakfast, drank some tea, and read the blogs and email. I contemplated possibilities for the day. I have several movies checked out, two of which really need to be returned sooner rather than later as they have holds pending. Libertine, then, seemed to be the order of the day. I decided to go out and do a little shopping, pick up a couple of things and run a few errands before watching it.

Well, damn it, I was gone for the entire damned day. I suppose I realized right away how long it was all going to take, because I started out at Egg Haven. I had crepes with fresh red raspberries (not in syrup, just a handful of fresh--dry, healthy, not goopy wet--fruit) and whipped (also fresh) cream. And iced tea, made by putting ice on brewed tea. It was spectacular.

After that, Bed Bath & Beyond:
~ Skirt hangers
~ A funky new loop hanger for purses (its actual intention is for belts, I guess)
~ Dish cloths and hand towels for the kitchen. I've been a little lax about my kitchen textiles (i.e. using the crappy ones I had in college or pulling something from bathroom storage in a pinch). These will be much better. Why natural? God only knows, since nothing else in the kitchen is this color.

Then across the street to Only Deals. I've been searching for a standard (i.e. adult) -sized paddle-ball (see Dodgeball for details). Alas, I'm still searching.

Next door to Bath & Body Works. I was looking--vaguely--for something new (to me), not overly smelly: a body scrub, maybe? I wandered the store for probably a half hour before buying...five "trial-sized" options:
~ C.O. Bigelow Lemon Cream Body Wash
~ C.O. Bigelow Lemon Sugar Body Scrub
~ True Blue Spa Be More Pacific Shower Gel
~ Signature Collection Gardenia Shower Gel
~ Signature Collection Cucumber Melon Bubble Bath
I'm looking forward to trying it out.

The Target run wasn't so exciting; it was only for staples. Walgreens sucked; I had to take in pictures to be duplicated without negatives. The clerk at the photo counter looked at me like I was nuts when I said that I didn't want to do them myself on the Picture-Maker, but I'd really rather not have to look at them that closely right now. They make me feel tired.

After Walgreens, I stopped at Office Max. I needed cables. I beat the shit out of my network cable and had to replace it, and I wanted a much shorter cable that goes from the wall (the cable outlet) to the modem, but couldn't think of the name. (My current one is 50 feet and I would like one that is 3-6 feet long.) I searched but couldn't find it so finally asked for help when a staff member offered. He questioned me a little to determined what I was looking for. He said, "A power cord?" Um, no. Not a power cord. Why in the world would a person describe that as "the cable that goes from the wall, at the cable outlet, to the modem"?! I said, "No, it's a round cable, and it screws into the wall and screws into the modem." Then it happened: the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

"Oh. What you need, little lady, is a co-actual cable. The standard length is 25 feet, and we usually have one or two co-actual cables in stock but I think we might be out of co-actual cables right now. If you need to get a co-actual cable today, you might want to try Best Buy or Radio Shack for a co-actual cable...."

In his defense, this pronunciation would probably be spelled "co-axual".

I was nearly pissing myself, trying not to laugh out loud. I didn't just bite my lip; I was biting half of my face. I was stabbing myself in the palm with my thumb-nail. I kicked myself in the ankle. It was killing me.

I stifled it, picked out a storage option for my photo CDs, and left. Ahem. "Co-actual."

Then groceries at the J*w*l. I picked up a bunch of things that aren't available at my usual (i.e. neighborhood) store. I got way more than I'd planned so my basket was super heavy. I even used the self-checkout, in honor of The [vacationing] Cat.

It took 3 trips to get all of it upstairs. Once I had done so, I was done. Drank a huge glass of water and konked out on the couch for an hour.

And now I've wasted an hour, maybe an hour and a half, plodding through this pointless post while watching the Cubs leading the Mets (currently 8-5 with 2 outs in the first half of the ninth).

If the Cubs win, I'm going to the other grocery store after the game is over. (Cereal and ice cream.) If the Cubs don't win, I'm going to Ollie's for a hot fudge shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment