1.11.2011

a good book has no ending

Tonight: half a Canadian bacon calzone (lunch leftovers) and The Pursuit of Alice Thrift by Elinor Lipman. It wasn't her best (The Inn at Lake Devine and The Dearly Departed are my favorites) but still funny and engrossing--there's nothing like a novel that pulls me in to the extent that I can't put it down until it's done. And there were strange parallels between it and a couple of other books that I read recently. It shared cultural references with Jimmy's Girl (Stephanie Gertler), and had, at times, the same sort of loping narrative flow that Tim Farrington's Monk books display beautifully.

Tomorrow would be perfect timing for a snow day. Unfortunately, it's the only day this week we're not likely to get any snow at all. I should probably plan on going to work.

[title quotation by R.D. Cumming]

No comments:

Post a Comment