10.03.2013

first rule: Do not use semicolons.

I'm listening to my laundry tumbling in the dryer downstairs, wondering why I always wait until the last minute to get it started (and, consequently, to the very last minute to get it finished). It's not that late, but I'm sleepy and will be even more so by the time I've pulled it out, brought it upstairs, made a stab at either folding it or "carefully laying it out" and gotten ready for bed. I'll be extra tired tomorrow and have only myself to blame.
    This has been a Hell of a week. We're part-way (one-eighth) through a [bleeping] ridiculous project at work. It is not without purpose, but is still requiring an enormous amount of effort for not a whole lot of payoff on my end. Add to that the flak that I've taken nonstop since it began, and I'm exceedingly ready for the weekend to arrive. The worst of it? Tiny cuts on my hands from hard plastic.
reflective.
    The laundry is now done-ish. The dryer stopped, and the first couple of things that I pulled out felt dry, so I unloaded and brought it upstairs--only to discover that about half of it is still very slightly damp, in one tiny spot each. One sock from each pair is totally soaked. I can probably drape a bunch of it over the drying rack in the guest room, but some will have to go back to the dryer for another round. DAMN IT.
    I'm back in contact with a couple of people from whom I've not heard in quite a while, with whom I thought I'd lost touch completely. Though it is good to know that I'm not forgotten, there's a lot of pressure to behave in certain ways with these people; to be someone other than I really am. I seem to repeatedly end up questioning myself and my motives when I've been in contact with them. Who is the real me? How do I really know? What does real even mean?
    Maybe I just need more sleep, or a couple of days off.

[the title quotation is by Kurt Vonnegut, from A Man Without a Country, and reads in its entirety: “Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college.”]

No comments:

Post a Comment