11.24.2013

cinema can fill in the empty spaces of your life and your loneliness

The SAMs: Movies I can't Help But Watch, episode II (see this post for the first episode).
  • Tin Cup. Sweet, funny, populated with "golf people" but without too much overt lameness, this is Kevin Costner at his gorgeous prime.

    AWARD: Best golf movie. Runners-up:
  • Sexy Beast. Ray Winstone is a genius, and if you've only seen Ben Kingsley in Gandhi and the like, well...holy shit, you'll die watching this.

    AWARD: Best movie in English requiring the use of subtitles (runner-up:The Full Monty. No, I haven't yet seen Gosford Park.)
  • Lost in La Mancha. The story of how Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python fame) didn't quite get to make his film version of Cervantes' novel.

    AWARD: Best documentary. Period.
  • Schindler's List.

    AWARD: Best movie that I never need to see again. (For a wonderful take on this very subject, see The Cat's recent post.) Runners-up:

  • Bull Durham. I love baseball books, and I love baseball movies. They have to really get it, though, and not just be either stupid or hyper-critical of famous players. Bull Durham has just the right mix of knowledge, nostalgia, wit, sass, tenderness, foolishness, and hope-beyond-reason. And hot Kevin Costner!
    AWARD: Best baseball movie. Runners-up:
    • Field of Dreams. More Kevin Costner! And more nostalgia.
    • Major League. More silliness.
    • A League of Their Own. Tom Hanks & Geena Davis - Adorable Squared.
    • The Sandlot. Best kids' baseball movie, though I can never watch it again.
    • 42. The best Harrison Ford movie I've seen in years - though it's all about Chadwick Boseman, who nailed it.
    • The Natural. One of those movies that it kind of hurts to watch, but it's too good not to.
  • The Big Blue (Le Grand Bleu). A Jean Reno movie, a deep-sea diving movie, a gorgeously filmed movie, an honestly funny movie (I swear there's a scene where the actors are spontaneously laughing, unscripted), a love story, and a tragedy. Unforgettable.

    AWARD: Best movie that makes me sob every single time I see it. Beautiful.
  • Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! Topher Grace, Josh Duhamel, and Kate Bosworth. All kinds of cute.

    AWARD: Best movie you think will be dumb as dirt, but turns out to be a little thinky and better than you'd feared. Runner-up: Employee of the Month (yep, that's Dane Cook with Jessica Simpson. Trust me on this.)
Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

[the title quotation is by Pedro Almodóvar]

2 comments:

  1. What does it mean that of all the categories listed, I've seen almost all of the baseball movies you've listed, a few of the golf movies...and mostly none of the others? This, of a self-proclaimed MLB anti-fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't dare to guess what that means--except that my lists are subjective and obscure, so I'd be surprised if many others have seen the majority of them!

      Delete