11.03.2013

most people are other people

  • If I were a month I would be: August
  • If I were a day of the week I would be: Thursday
  • If I were a time of day I would be: 11:PM
  • If I were a planet I would be: Venus (oh, I know—right?)
  • If I were a sea animal I would be: one of those brilliantly colored fish that live so far beneath the surface that no one will ever see it with the naked eye
  • If I were a direction I would be: East
  • If I were a piece of furniture I would be: (see photo)
    a built-in, over-the-door bookcase
  • If I were a historical figure I would be: relatively anonymous, but eventually mark-making
  • If I were a liquid I would be: mercury
  • If I were a stone, I would be: cold
  • If I were a tree, I would be: a long-needled pine that smells fantastic in winter
  • If I were a bird I would be: a loon, of course
  • If I were a tool, I would be: laughing out loud
  • If I were a flower/plant, I would be: a very fidgety white African violet with purple striations
  • If I were a kind of weather, I would be: hard rain
  • If I were a musical instrument, I would be: a 12-string guitar
  • If I were an animal, I would be: an almost-silent beagle. (Yes, I love cats, but by temperament I'm a dog.)
  • If I were a color, I would be:  iridescent gray, like the inside of an oyster shell
  • If I were an emotion, I would be: yep. That.
  • If I were a vegetable, I would be: corn
  • If I were a sound, I would be: rueful laughter
  • If I were an element, I would be: Hydrogen. (I'm a man without a country.)
  • If I were a car, I would be: a Jaguar sedan
  • If I were a song, I would be: Hallelujah, sung in the style of Jeff Buckley by someone who loves me
  • If I were a food, I would be: bacon!
  • If I were a place, I would be: a riverbank on the big M
  • If I were a material, I would be: suede
  • If I were a taste, I would be: umami, maybe? (I like the idea of being almost impossible to understand.)
  • If I were a scent, I would be: vanilla
  • If I were a religion, I would be: Buddhism
  • If I were a word, I would be: wistful
  • If I were an object, I would be: a photograph
  • If I were a body part I would be: shoulders
  • If I were a facial expression I would be: the transition
  • If I were a subject in school I would be: history, I would think
  • If I were a cartoon character I would be: Sylvester, Jr.
  • If I were a shape I would be: a scalene triangle
  • If I were a number I would be: irrational
[from The Cat {a much longer post that I divided into smaller ones}, who got it here; the title quotation is by Oscar Wilde, and reads in its entirety, “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”]

3 comments:

  1. So much awesomeness here! The sea animal answer is brilliant. And so many of your answers made me laugh out loud, literally. Irrational - perfectly hilarious. Hard rain. Most excellent! I think my favorite answer was umami. That captures you best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having known a few beagles...no. I've never considered you a doggy personality (in any sense of that, please), though I guess I can see you as a VERY calm adult Newfie, in personality not looks of course.

    Also, umami FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's what I meant about being dog-like: loyalty, tenacity (stubbornness), curiosity, and prone to chasing. I chose a beagle because I think they're cute and sort of smart - Newfoundlands are, in my opinion, very not cute.

    I was especially proud of the sea animal answer!

    ReplyDelete